Alternative to Fujitsu Q550

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by navus, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

Not to go too far off the path, there are a few ways to accomplish this now. Since the current draw is so small you could just use a small coil of wire and an RF source like just about any RF ID device now uses. Might even be able to make it capacitive in a non-contact way.

And of course the patent may have run out and they didn't bother to renew it (or weren't allowed to renew), these tablets have been out for a long time now so this is possible.

Or it could be that they are willing to license certain parts for cheap enough that anyone can include their technology. An extra penny per unit sale for not needing to make anything seems to work fine for companies like Microsoft and their portion of the Android tech. All they do now is sit back and collect money on every device that gets sold. It's the old get some money or no money, which would you prefer?

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Actually, the Wacom system and the N-trig system are similar in operation except they are the reverse of each other.

From what I understand, the Wacom system has the field generating coils and the sensor grid in the digitizer while the pen is the field disturbance. The N-trig system has the field generation coil and the field disturbance in the pen and the sensor grid in the digitizer. The N-trig system uses the AAA battery to power the coil while the Wacom system uses the system battery.

The major benefit to the Wacom system is smoother operation and higher writing or line drawing precision. Having a disbursement of field coils may be the reason for this. Another benefit to the Wacom system is you charge the system battery and the pen is unpowered.

So why implemented N-trig? Obviously the powered pen is a negative and there is a degradation to precision over Wacom, so why use it? First, there are fewer field coils and the ones it has have their own power source in the pen so battery life of the device is maximized. Second, it costs less. When N-trig was traveling to talk Android tablet makers into using an active digitizer back in 2008 and 2009 the system cost was $50. In contrast, the historical high cost of TabletPC's has been somewhat due to the cost of the Wacom system which was at the time estimated to be between $500 and $1000.

For a system that works at least as good as 95% to 98% of the way to Wacom, the N-trig system 'won' based on battery life and lower cost. It may even be lower weight as well since there is only one layer to the N-trig as opposed to two for Wacom when multi-touch is employed.

If I were designing a system myself I would want a Wacom digitizer. Why? Because they work the best. However, at a premium of $450 (making the Q550 1,300 instead of 850 for instance), needing a larger battery, and having a heavier machine, I would sure be trying to get the N-trig system to work better in my machine as well!

3. tstephane93@yahoo.com

tstephane93@yahoo.com Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys, I just received my Q550 this afternoon. It has solid physical design and looks neat. Not too heavy, easy to hold. I didn’t play much with it yet but I like it so far. I’ll post the testing results and my thoughts latter.

4. tstephane93@yahoo.com

tstephane93@yahoo.com Pen Pal - Newbie

I have had Fujitsu Q550 for over a week now and I have typed up my experience in another thread on this forum. I am not sure the linking rule here. It is at:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/wha...ice-buying-affordable-tablet-pc-stlyus-2.html
    If linking within forum is not allowed, please remove the link or notify me.

The short version of my Q550 comment is: nice build, good screen and pen, but terrible system performance that ruin the user experience. I believe performance is a heat related issue. I like to hear your thoughts on keeping it or getting something different.

5. mmccord

mmccord Scribbler - Standard Member

Haven't gotten any Q550s because i don't think they are strong enough to run the software we run, but I did order a Samsung Series 7 this week that I have high hopes for. :)

6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I agree that the 'turbo mode' was likely not implemented due to some heat issue. At the same time, it has also been documented that Intel did not implement the on-die GPU correctly and is still using the CPU to do most of the video processing. The Z670 has so much more potential and it is sad that a lack of consistent integration is dragging the system down. Intel is busy off trying to develop the 'next' version and in the meantime still does not have information posted for this chipset. It is as if it does not exist. This makes me think that Intel is in scramble mode and that is when corners get cut and mistakes get made.

In the meantime, try some of these and see if your system works any better:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/fujitsu/44436-q550-configuration-settings-improved-zip.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.