Alternative to factory tablet case... is there one?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by galtom, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewYorker545

NewYorker545 Pen Pal - Newbie

Something to consider on the Slimbook case: I didn't see any holder for the pen stylus. On the Flexbook I noticed a loop-type holder for the pen.

Edit: Upon further observation, I see there is a loop on the back near the cutout for the camera.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. Lord Augastus

Lord Augastus Pen Pal - Newbie

I like the stock case alot, atm it fits only the tablet just fine, I see it could be stretched to accommodate the dock too. Honestly though carrying my pen, screen wipe, memory cards, all together (maybe even the dongle if needed) is great with the two modes of screen placement. Looked at the two options above and I have to say, paying extra for those cases, when this does the job great is not needed. If they release a great case, that does something extra, that the stock cannot I would like to get it. The two options dont seem to be anything special importunately.

3. Schnabe

Schnabe Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using the stock case with both the tablet and keyboard dock with no noticeable change in the case. It fits the combo perfectly. What I'm looking for is a case that provides some protection while I am using the tablet by itself. The stock case will not allow you to use the tablet while it is in the case. That's why I excited to get the Slimbook case. I use my TF810C at work, and would like to use my tablet while at industrial plants without fear of scratching the back of the tablet if I set it on a surface that is not 100% clear of debris.

4. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

The Slimbook one looks fantastic! I will use it as I don't have yet the keyboard dock. They even made it possible to use the USB dongle by flipping the case, so cool!

5. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice catch! I was a bit worried too. I would have preferred to have the pen on the side of the case though, as back there is a bit over exposed.

6. inzimam

inzimam Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone ordered this one from Amazon in the UK. Do they deliver from the UK or USA? I dont want to order if it's going to take over a week to get here.

7. wubbzy

wubbzy Pen Pal - Newbie

If you like the Slimbook, you might want to also check out the MoKo slim-fit case. I use one with my TF700, and I like how it locks closed and how it's easy to remove the tablet. There's not much detail yet for the TF810c model, like whether it includes a way to hold the pen, but I emailed the seller and they say it should be available in a couple weeks.

Amazon.com: MoKo Slim-Fit Multi-angle Folio Cover Case for ASUS Transformer Pad VivoTab TF810 10.1 inch Tablet, BLACK (with Smart Cover Auto Wake/Sleep Feature): Computers & Accessories

P.S. The screen size is wrong in the Amazon listing, but the seller assures me it's for the 11.6" TF810c.

8. wubbzy

wubbzy Pen Pal - Newbie

Also, I should add that the other nice thing about the design of the MoKo cases is that they don't cover much of the bezel, so it should be easier to work with the charm bar and windows key.

9. Schnabe

Schnabe Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received the Poetic Slimbook case I linked earlier, and so far it works and looks great. No interference with opening the charm bar, pressing the Windows button, or accessing any of the ports. There is about a quarter inch of the bezel showing.

The case even has magnets to close the cover, and when closed it turns off the screen. Upon opening the case, the tablet resumes.

The only minor quibble I have is the pen is stored on the outside of the tablet case, one the back.

For the money, this case is definitely worth it!

10. NewYorker545

NewYorker545 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just received the Poetic Slimbook case for the TF810. Here is what I wrote in my Amazon review:

This case is very nicely designed, with all of the Vivotab's ports/controls accessible with cutouts in the case.

I had a few issues with the Asus folio-type case that came with the Vivotab. This biggest issue are the strong magnets in the flap that closes the Asus folio case. If I place the Vivotab on top of it and start writing, the 2 magnets distort the writing/drawing of the pen stylus. It took me a while to figure out it wasn't a defect in the Vivotab but the magnets underneath as I was writing. This Poetic case is a true case and not a folio sleeve, so the magnet are at the far edges of the case and do not interfere with the writing/drawing functions. Also, since the magnets are weaker, I am less worried about holding this case where it might be close to credit cards that I might have in my pockets.

The Poetic case has an elasic ribbon on the back, which is used to keep the cover in place when closed, and could also keep the cover in place when folded back underneath the tablet. There is also a thicker elastic strap on the inside front cover. This is useful when the cover is folded back and you want to hold the tablet while writing in portrait mode. Most of the time, I expect to be writing on a desk but I can see where this strap might come in handy while walking or standing while taking notes with the stylus. Both of these straps seem to be fairly thin, so I don't know how long the elastic will hold up or stretch out. I will give the manufacturer the benefit of the doubt and not lower my rating at this time. Even so, neither elastic strap seems integral to the functioning of the case, so I could possibly live with the stretch if it happens.

The Poetic case cover can be folded back and held in place with a stiff tab on the back below the camera opening. This holds the Vivotab in landscape mode. With the Windows Start button on the bottom, the tablet is in a more upright position for viewing videos. With the Start button on the top, the tablet is a lower angle that is useful for typing. I found that the tablet can also be stood up in portrait mode, but only when the cover fold is on the left side (Start button on the left). For some reason, I can't keep the tablet in a stable portrait mode with the cover fold on the right side (Start button on the right).

So far, writing in OneNote, either in portrait mode or landscape mode, is not affected by the case covering the edges of the Vivotab. There is about a 1/4-inch space between the lit part of the display and the case covering the glass of the tablet. One problem I had while writing on the bare tablet in landscape mode and the Start button on the bottom. The heel of my palm would sometimes hit the Start capacitive button while writing. With the Poetic case, the case edge keeps my palm from activating the Start button, so I can write in both landscape modes, whereas uncovered, I had to write "upside down" in landscape mode.

One complaint that I would have is the placement of the stylus/pen holder loop. It is located on the back of the case near the rear camera opening. With the pen in the loop, it sticks out and in the way when placed down on a table surface. It would have much cleaner lines and better functionality if the elastic loop were placed on the either one of the short sides. This could have easily been done since the case covers both of the short edges of the tablet.

All in all, I would have given this case a rating of 4.5 given the above observations, but ended up with a 5 rating since the issues are minor and I wouldn't be able to do the case justice with a 4 rating.

The design changes I suggest shouldn't be all that difficult to incorporate in a re-design. If they make these changes, I would not hesitate to give a full 5 rating.