Alternate Folio for the EP121?

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by virtus, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jinnijinn

jinnijinn Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't seen a folio alternative, so will use a pretty compact messenger bag that has a computer sleeve, plus an adjustable stand. When in use, it won't have a cover. Keeping everything as lightweight as possible is a priority for me.

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Is there a keyboard-folio for the EP121? Or maybe folio with enough room for the Bluetooth keyboard that is bundled with the unit?

3. AlunReynolds

AlunReynolds Scribbler - Standard Member

I am in the process of building a prototype 'ipad2' like cover for my ep121. Once I have finished the design and built it I will put photos up. My girlfriend and I are working together on it. I do the design and she does the stitching.

4. princenrj23

princenrj23 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am looking for a light weight folio like of a Microsoft surface tablet with inbuilt keyboard, kick stands, etc for EP121( 12" screen)... Any suggestions ?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  5. nexusix

nexusix Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  6. nexusix

nexusix Pen Pal - Newbie

7. Routb3d

Routb3d Scribbler - Standard Member

You found it! :) We are only going to build about 40 of them for the EP121 in the next few weeks. They will be ready to ship in September. I'll have prototypes to show by next week. They are going to be totally awesome and I can't wait to have mine! We have placed a modest amount in stock on our webpage, FlipSteady, Origami Inspired Tablet Stand. They are available for emediate reservation/Pre-order if you feel comfortable with buying something sight unseen.

Check it out.. :)

*Pre Order* FlipSteady Pro for ASUS Slate EP121 [4] - $85.00 : FlipSteady, Origami Inspired Tablet Stand

Isaiah Coberly
    NewPencil Inc.

8. AlunReynolds

Not a folio solution as such, but I have built a kick-stand into the back of my EP121. I have made two versions so far, one is slightly more bulky (although still very little increase in bulk or size) but allows angles for handwriting, on-screen keyboard and media viewing. The second version is designed for handwriting and on-screen keyboard only, as I tend to use a cradle for media viewing. The new kickstand is only a single 1mm thick piece of articulated polypropelene, along with the velcro to attach it it adds only about 2mm of extra depth to the slate (less than the folio) and negligible weight (again unlike the folio). I am experimenting with different materials to see if I can reduce the weight evern further and attach without the velcro.

9. nexusix

nexusix Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you considered using magnets in place of the velcro?

10. AlunReynolds

Yep that's the next version. But magnetic tape is quite thick and as the back of the slate is plastic you need an adhesive magnetic tape on the back of the slate then some metalwork in the kickstand. What i am thinking of doing ins embedding one side of the velcro into the substance of the kickstand to reduce its bulk. Having said all of the, the latest version, though not yet pretty, works brilliantly. It gives me almost infinite variation in height up to the highest point. It is so simple and it so works.