"Alps pointing device" not working - Fujitsu T4410

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by PhotoMuis, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi everybody

This is driving me nuts... the trackpad and keyboard on my T4410 stopped working a few hours ago and I have been struggling to get it going again ever since.

According to the Device Manager, it is the "Alps pointing device" driver that is causing the trouble, it says it can't start the driver, "Code 10". I have deactivated and reactivated the Alps device in the Device Manager, shut down and rebooted the computer, did a system restore to yesterday when all was working perfectly, uninstalled the Alps driver completely, reinstalled various versions of it (the one I found for the T4410 at Fujitsu, as well as some newer ones found at HP).

Whenever I reinstall the driver completely (never mind which version) it fixes the keyboard problem, but the trackpad stays dead and there is an exclamation mark in the Device Manager. But as soon as I reboot, the keyboard is dead again too!!

I tried running the Fujitsu DeskUpdate, it finds nothing wrong or outdated, then ran the Microsoft Fix It tool, it does detect that the keyboard and trackpad are not working, and suggest reinstalling the drivers, but when I allow it to do so it also only manages to fix the keyboard, not the trackpad. And here too when I reboot the keyboard is dead again.

I have been using the T4410 with an external mouse and keyboard all day, so don't know exactly when it started to act up, because I only noticed that I had no response when I wanted to switch to the couch, without the external keyboard and mouse. Touch screen and Wacom pen still works perfectly. Right now I am writing this on the external keyboard again, no problems there.

I have been using this same configuration of external mouse and keyboard with the T4410 for months, so nothing new there, i.e. I can't imagine that that could have scrambled it. I did not install any programs nor update anything today, and I worked with the computer on my lap last night and this morning, there it still worked. A system restore to yesterday afternoon did not help either.

Any ideas?????

2. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Cheap and easy way to rule out hardware defects: get a linux live cd and see if it works there. Just download the iso, burn it to disc and make sure to check the checkbox for bootable, then boot from it to the live environment.
    The LiveCD List
    I'd go for the standard Ubuntu.

3. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Hattori, thanks for replying, sorry I took so long to get back to this thread, was only on the Internet very infrequently the last few days. I finally ended up "system restoring" to increasingly earlier dates, and a restore to about two weeks earlier then worked, I still have no idea what the actual problem was but everything works again, so it wasn't a hardware problem. But thanks for that link, I think I'll make myself a disc like that to have around just in case, for future reference...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.