Airbar Makes 14" Screen A Touchscreen

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Steve S, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

kind of more surprised for the need for this at all in laptops.....I mean..on the PC front.....touchscreens are now so commonplace....even the non yoga or 2-in-1 options are still mostly rocking touchscreens. It might be worthwhile for Mac users...(provided it even works with Macs at all).... but limiting this to only around 14 inch-ish screens seems like a misstep. Now if this thing could work with 20-30+ inch monitors.....then it would have more merit.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...limiting this to only around 14 inch-ish screens seems like a misstep...>>

...There appear to be at least two different sizes, 14" and 15.6 IIRC... (maybe more; not sure...)...

4. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe you could use it vertically. My 27 inch Dell is under 13 inches tall!

Terry

Tams likes this.
  5. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting. I wonder if it can add touch functionally to cintiq alternative and play well with pen digitizer driver. @darkmagistric maybe you won't need to find a rare touchscreen cintiq clone anymore if there is 15.6 available ;). There is many 15.6 inch pen display with all the bells and whistles for very cheap now, the Xp-pen 15.6 Pro is 299$ now if that size works for you.

Edit: nvm, it doesn't work on monitor. What a shame, hopefully they could improve the tech and boarden up the category.

Edit 2: while the seller said that it works with laptop only, it probably can work with 15.6" monitor as show in Q&A sections:
    Probably they warn against use with monitor because most monitor had bigger display and might be too thick for magnet attachment.

Edit 3: Apparently there is a whole category of touch infrared frame design for TV. The smallest I can find is 22 inch and biggest is like 55". https://www.amazon.com/High-Touch-O...ch+infrared+touch+frame&qid=1576155920&sr=8-8

If this play well and allow palm rejection as touch input, I start to feel bad for those who paid extra 500$+ for touch Cintiq.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Marty and darkmagistric like this.
  6. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Today I went to the mall and saw this big touchscreen to navigate map. I'm pretty sure it used this infrared touch frame tech because the frame is raised pretty high over the actual screen, and I can see the touching mark appear when I hover my fingers 1-2mm over the screen. The IR touch tech create a light sheet over the display and detect touch when our fingers disrupt the light. so it can detect finger before it even touch the touchscreen probably because in this case the light sheet was higher over the display instead of being exactly on the surface level.

I wonder if the Airbar actually use IR tech though because it only require one side to be "framed".

Anyhow if anyone want to try out this touch tech can try going to the mall to find a map :p. It's said to detect any object including pen though (I forgot to test putting pointy object on it), so there is no saying how it would behave in a system with pen digitizer

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    Marty likes this.