Air Gap between LCD and writing surface.

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by cheesetogo, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makito

makito Since 2006? wow...

Hi,
    I currently have a Toshiba M400, and I've been eyeing a new Lenovo X61t or X200t. I've done a lot of looking around and I'm very satisfied with what I see - I only have one question.

What's the air-gap between the clear plastic bezel and the LCD like? My M400 has what seems to be over 1-4mm gap of air and when I write, the clear plastic deflects that much until it touches the LCD. I find it SUPER annoying! Parallax ... to the max? haha... anyways.

The Lenovo site seems to mention this direct-bonding technology. Does that mean the clear writing surface is literally bonded to the LCD? If that's true and there's practically no give/parallax and I'm 100% sold.

Makito

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

can't say i've experienced give or any noticeable parallax on my x61 tablet.

3. dmlerner

dmlerner Scribbler - Standard Member

I've got a T2010 and there definitly is the paralax effect. It's annoying if I'm being picky and vaguely noticeable for two minutes every time I use it, then not noticeable. You can calibrate around it if you get creative. Oh, all that for inking, it's completely a nonissue in laptop mode.

4. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry, I don't understand what you really mean with parallax effect. And I don't understand where the T2010 has something like you described.

Yes, the T2010 has an air gap between the display and the writing surface. I think this air gap has every tablet PC with a display. It's there to protect the display from being touched by the pen. And no, it does not touch the display if I write, I have to press hard on it with the finger to notice this gap. And it does also not disturb the screen.

But if you mean, that the pen nib has a distance to the display and that the mouse cursor is not always below the pen nib, depending on the angle you hold the pen, then I can say, this problem has every tablet PC, too, because the digitizer is behind the display. And there's a great distance between the digitizer and the electronics in the pen.
    The N-digitizer is in front of the display, there this offset should be less, but still present, because there's still a distance between the digitizer and the pen electronics.
    But with a good calibration you shouldn't have a problem with it.

5. DRTigerlilly

yes every tablet has parallax, but it is more noticeable on some than others, and even with calibration in some machines it is still very noticeable, which is why i said i don't have any noticeable parallax, i know it exists, but its not something that in my experience with my x61, that has been a problem for me, b/c the margin is so small to be unnoticeable.

6. tlewis

tlewis Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe two things are being discussed here. And, just to clarify, "parallax" might be the wrong term in both cases...

Phenomenon One is visual...There is an offset between stylus tip and cursor on the screen surface. This is due to two things 1) a tiny but unavoidable distance (in cross-section) imposed by the thickness of the protective writing surface bonded across the face of the display....and 2) the calibration of the pen. You can fiddle with the calibration. The visual gap, though improved thru good calibration, never totally disappears but really is pretty negligible after just a few minutes of use.

Phenomenon Two is physical. And I have noticed it with the x61t. Basically it results from the flexibility of the writing surface -and that flexibility seems to grow with long usage.

The effect is best described in slo-mo. Let's sllllloooow a 100th of a second dowwwwwnnnnnnnnn..........You touch the writing surface with your stylus tip...you feel that soft collision...you are pressing down to write....the surface "gives" a bit as you push it down onto the face of the display....the writing surface finishes deflecting as it contacts the display face....you feel that second soft collision.

The end effect is of getting two little hits as you press down, first you feel the writing surface - then the display face. It happens in a fraction of a second, but can be noticeable. It may be a result of having to build the screen for MultiTouch input. With touch the outer surface needs more flexibility and requires a "floppier" protective material. That is, compared to the material that, in my experience, Motion and Toshiba use for their stylus-only tablets, which is much more rigid (and has its own problems, like cracking...been there).

Whatever the case, the "floppiness" - though still minuscule - does seem to grow over time. Probably stylus and finger "drag" and the machine's own heat encourage the outer surface to acquire a subtle outward bow. Not a deal killer - perhaps even corrected in the new X200t - but worth mentioning.
    t lewis

7. DRTigerlilly

hmmm, i'm using a non touch x61 tablet & the m400 & t2010 don't have touch.

8. Spare Tire

Spare Tire Scribbler - Standard Member

Powerthirst!

9. makito

makito Since 2006? wow...

Wow so many responses...

Literally wore out a 3500, and M200; I've had my M400 for over 2 years now and it's a daily work machine - paint has worn off, everything is scratched etc. It's already been in a few times for a new mainboard and LCD but I have to agree with tlewis - the "floppiness" gets really bad as it ages through heavy use. The center of the screen now bowed out a good 4mm, but the edges are nice and close. It's just annoying when you're about ready to write something down then unexpectedly your pen has already hit the surface and already writing - at the wrong place. Haha, my current low-tech solution is to just hold the plastic down with the alternate hand.

So all in all, it's going to be a problem on all tablets eventually - oh well, nothing is perfect.

Out of curiosity, does the touch screen add substantial depth?

10. inutel

inutel Pen Pal - Newbie

hp 2730p tablet maybe a better choice then, it has a glass writing surface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.