AHK & MultiTouch - Why wont it work? - Adding Touch Panning to SAI?

Discussion in 'Software' started by thatcomicsguy, Mar 22, 2019.

1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This is a problem which has been driving me slowly nuts...

So the new Paint Tool SAI (64 Bit) is 95% ready for prime time. It's beautiful. It's small. It knows how to draw a clean, perfect line every time! (This has been an on-going challenge for me on both my Dell Canvas 27 and the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro, in conjunction with the otherwise excellent ClipStudio Paint.) CelSys just can't seem to bring themselves to polish off the final rough corners on their pen driver interface.

But Koji Komatsu has.

His SAI 2 is a thing of beauty; it makes both WinTab and the MS API sing and dance.

And I want to start using it. The only problem is...

It ignores all finger input. No touch panning, no pinch/zoom, no canvas rotation.

So I turned to AutoHotKey, figuring, "I'll just create a mini set of macros. It'll be great!"

Well, apparently that's not possible. The secret to accessing the touch screen is not one which the AHK coders have cracked. In fact, there's a remarkable lack of information on the web concerning anything to do with multitouch -beyond the very most surface and benign features. Where and how do software coders even learn to incorporate touch into their products? Do they have their own private internet or something? I feel like I've looked everywhere.

So I'm asking... Has anybody discovered a way to get into that black box?

I want to add finger navigation to SAI. -And Koji Komatsu, the sole coder who maintains Systemax and Paint Tool SAI, is either very shy, has a far more interesting real life outside coding art apps.., or has decided to ignore for some other reason the periodic emails I send him every few months. He's never written back. (The last email I sent was one where I asked how much it would cost for me to hire him to add the features I wanted. No response. Am I a scary person? I hope I haven't frightened him off with my zeal.)

Anyway...

What would be really great is a way to tell Windows to do this very simple thing, (well, it SEEMS simple): "When a particular program has focus, and I do ____ with my fingers, send this command."

Does anybody know of any way to do that?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I should add...

I did find this little program:

https://github.com/TransposonY/GestureSign

It allows you to create a suite of finger gestures anchored to whatever application you define. It sort of works with SAI, but it's buggy to the point of being useless.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I don't know how to do it in AHK, but doing a google search for touch coordinates windows I do find pages like these:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi.../detecting-and-tracking-multiple-touch-points

This AHK discussion refers to Win8 but references similar API calls (am I using these words right?), maybe it helps:
    https://www.autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=3774

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Tablet Nostradamus

Tablet Nostradamus Pen Pal - Newbie

You can try Justice Frangipane's Tablet Pro:

Although you'd have to set up your whole screen to be a touchpad (full screen mode), you can program gestures to hotkeys in settings, although I don't see a way to customize according to whatever program is in focus. You can get in touch with the program's creator pretty easily though, they seem open to business opportunities.

thatcomicsguy likes this.