Ah, crap...

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by Meatlocker, Jul 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meatlocker

Meatlocker Software Development Pro

Last night I restored my machine to factory state, and I continued to have a pretty regular crash in the igfx display driver (which Windows recovers from). So today I thought it would be a terrific idea to format the disk, and start completely from scratch. I managed to format the disk, and on reboot...

Nothing. Powered on (glowing) black screen. I can't get to the bios, I can't boot a bootable USB drive, I can't boot an external CD ROM (all of which previously worked). I have tried the reset button (yes, between the USB ports), and a myriad of voodoo chants. Nada.

Any ideas?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unplug the Ep121, open it up, and pull the battery connector (just follow the wire that comes off the battery, and disconnect it from the motherboard) leave it disconnected for a few minutes, then reconnect it and put it all back together... this will essentially clear any volatile memory or soft breakers/ ect...

3. UnderClock

UnderClock Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the screen OK? Note my (hardware) problem and also Javier's similar looking problem after messing with the Intel software/drivers.

Do you get the same problem with an external screen attached?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. Meatlocker

Thanks, Agent - nogo. Same issue. It's almost as if the format itself somehow wiped out the bios. How, I have no idea...

Yes, same issue on external. The display is ok, I think. Windows is not booting at all (there is no Windows...the drive was formatted).

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...there is no Windows...the drive was formatted...>>

...I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not, but at this point, I'd be tempted to pull the SSD, stick it on a USB adapter and check its status using another computer. Even if the formatting looks OK, I'd probably reformat it, then retry it in the EP with the optical drive and your recovery disc. (Also, repeat the battery off reset since you're already in there.)

Good luck...

6. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Bios data is static and should still be there intact. I guess the bios is written to behave differently from normal laptop or desktop machines. It might only show if there is a OS. try a usb or dvd with MS dos.. try unbuntu.

7. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

] agree w/ CF 77 about bios behavior

8. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

What tool did you use to format? I might expect this if a low level format was attempted.
    Fixing it might be a tad difficult. Which bios did you have? One of the updates was for better support of usb on reboot, try a full turn off as sugested above.
    This assumes you didn't try to bit-locker the device.

9. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

There are posts from members with bitlocker problem and how to get out of a jam.

10. Meatlocker

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I would have thought that the the bios was static, too, that's why I am so surprised at this behavior. I can't get any USB device to be recognized, so an external boot option is not available. I used Acronis Disk Director to do the format, and changed the cluster size from 4 KB to 16 KB for faster chunk processing. This seems to be what did the drive in.
    Steve's idea is one that I am already considering, which is to slave the drive via a USB adapter and reformat it. Looking for an adapter now.

Also...I've since replaced the drive (128 GB Bulletproof) with the original 64 GB, which is working fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.