after the asus vivotab note 8, want something bigger

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by ultra99, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ultra99

ultra99 Scribbler - Standard Member

I got the Surface Pro first gen when it first came out in 2012, but I returned it because of some issues. I also bought the Dell 8" tablet with they Synaptics pen but it was horrible and I sold it.

I'm currently using the Asus Vivotab Note 8, it's a nice little tablet, but I'd like something around 10".

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    $500 CAD max.
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? Yes.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    windows tablet pc

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? Canada

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No.

7. How many hours battery life do you require? Doesn't matter.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) Notetaking. Heavy on OneNote.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently? Windows 10 for OneNote and pen.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) MS Office and notetaking.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No.
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    No.
    Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? Any.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance Doesn't matter.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Pen is a must.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? Doesn't matter.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

2. jb82

jb82 Scribbler - Standard Member

How about a surface 3?

3. alexnir

alexnir Pen Pal - Newbie

Asus transformer mini T102.
    take a look.
    I have it for about 3 weeks for the same use you want, a lot of notetaking with onenote.
    Up to now its perfect for this job. Some glitches using other software does not bother me.

4. ultra99

How is it now, still stands?

I was considering but 12" is a bit too big, I think ~10" is the sweet spot.

5. alexnir

alexnir Pen Pal - Newbie

Everything is good.(take in mind I don't use the word perfect!)
    Pros:
    1. value for money because it includes the keyboard and the stylus, no extra costs there as opposite to other devices.
    2. the stylus in Onenote (full desktop vesion and onlive version) is flawless!
    3. the screen, besides its low specs, its bright and I can describe it as a "small diamond".
    4. take a look at this review. I agree with it, except the obvious mistake that the keyboard does have a pen loop to store the stylus:

5. The battery is good enough for a full 8 hours that I'm using it at work.

Cons:
    1. the keyboard has a learning curve because its small (some might say that is not actually a bad thing).
    2. chrome browser with more than 4 tabs, is killing the performance on this tablet. I switched to edge!
    3. No back camera. Let me explain. I used to use a Dell Venue 8 Pro and sometimes after the meetings I used to take a photo of the boards or documents around the table and then insert those photos into onenote and merge them with my notes. Now I can't do that and its a little bit annoying.
    4. the back of the tablet is a scratch magnet. I used the tablet for literally 2 days without a case and its already have small annoying scratches. After those 2 days I received my cover and save it.

All the above are my personal opinion and of course you might agree or not. Its how I use it and what I am expecting from this tablet.

If you're not in a hurry to buy something, consider to wait until surface 5 pro is announced so that the price of surface 3 pro is reduced more and make it more affordable.
    I'm planning to keep the asus transformer mini for about 1.5 years and then see if I can find something similar but more up to date.

Hope I helped.

6. ultra99

Thanks for your response!
    Do you use this as your main computer or secondary? All I need it is for OneNote and pdf annotating.

What cover do you have so I can order it soon?

7. alexnir

alexnir Pen Pal - Newbie

I use it as secondary along side with my laptop.

I'm not sure I understand your second question.
    Here is the link from amazon where I purchase it back in November:
    https://www.amazon.com/Transformer-...5720454&sr=8-2&keywords=asus+transformer+mini
    They only sell the grey cover. Haven't found other colors although I know in Europe they are selling them.
    Although back then was $10 cheaper. I bought it for $349.99
    Maybe with a little search online or at local shops you find it cheaper.

8. WalterRick64

WalterRick64 Pen Pal - Newbie

I recommend the HP Envy note 8

9. ultra99

It's still 8".

10. ultra99

Would a used thinkpad x220T be a good choice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.