after fresh install Win8 Pro (clean install), all mysterious issues solved (LiveUpdate, sleep etc)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by wataru, May 26, 2013.

1. raandree

raandree Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you get the TF810 boot from a USB stick? I have tried all options I can image of but without any success.

I would like to install Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro on the TF810C and also want to re-partition the drive from scratch. I have a bootable Windows 8 32-Bit USB stick that boots on all machines I have but not on the VivoTab.

I have read through the forums and tried various stuff the last two hours but without any success.

The only boot options I have are “Windows Boot Manager” and “Disabled”. Regardless of the setting the machine always boots into the installed Windows.

Thanks,
    Raimund

tgwallbank likes this.
  2. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

OEM keys might not work, however a Win 8 Pro update purchase (which should replace your OEM licence with a retail licence) will. I get a Win 8 Pro upgrade licence from my university and that licence works. If you don't want to purchase a licence, you might try your luck with some third-party MS licence management/import tool (maybe considered illegal) and import your OEM licence after you install Windows without actvation. However I'm not sure whether Windows could be activated with the OEM key. If not, you can always purchase a Win8 Pro upgrade licence.

There should be tutorials online on how to install Win8 without a key (aka intall without activation first). Win 8 can be downloaded elsewhere if MS does not provide a download without a valid product key. Once you have a fresh Win8 installation image ('iso' file), you should be able to install it without a key. Then solve the licence issue later.

One way to install Windows cleanly is to use the 'reset' function. I did that by creating a recovery drive (check 'copy recovery partition') in my OEM win8 on a USB drive. Then replace the largest file in your USB drive (might be a '.wim' file, can't remember clearly) with the same named file from your non-OEM win8 installation. This essentially replaces your OEM image with your non-OEM image. Then you can boot in your USB drive and click 'reset'. This will reset your system into a clean installation.

3. wataru

I use 'advanced startup' in PC settings (under 'general tab'). This will give you the option to boot to a USB drive. This should work. If not, you can create a recovery drive in your current system on a USB stick. That will surely be bootable in your system in 'advanced startup'. Please uncheck 'copy recovery partition' when creating your recovery drive. Once the recovery drive is booted, you can pull out the drive and insert your Win 8 installation drive and use 'reset' to install new windows.

4. raandree

raandree Pen Pal - Newbie

It works! The issue was that I have wanted to create a bootable UFD using bootsect.exe. This is required for the old generation BIOS but not for the UEFI. So it is just fine formatting an UFD with FAT32 and copy over the Windows files. Now Windows 8 Pro runs on my T810C just fine.

Just one thing: The device loses more energy while being in standby now. Is there any important power setting that a new plain install does not have?

5. holsen

holsen Pen Pal - Newbie

I have just a quick question if one of you would be kind enough to answer it.
    I've got a brand new clean copy of Win 8 on a Bootable USB Flash Drive
    And I've got the key from my Vivo Tab
    If I understand everything correctly, I should be able to boot from USB and wipe everything clean and put a fresh copy of Win 8 on my beloved tablet. Is this correct or am I missing something? Thanks!

6. ulflun

ulflun Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you have to configure any setting to get OTG working? Or is my newly bought adapter dead...

edit:The adapter was dead. Bought a new OTG cable and now it works.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  7. kkari

kkari Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. holsen

holsen Pen Pal - Newbie

OK,
    I finally got a clean install of Win 8.1 on my TF810C - And it's running REALLY GOOD. But it did cost me a new license of Win 8.1 - and not the upgrade license, the full new retail price of windows. I ran into all the same problems many of you had. When trying to boot from USB with a clean istall of Win 8 my key wasn't accepted so once I booted from the USB drive, instead of installng win 8 I had to choose repair Windows. Then it took the the Clean copy of windows, but once the installation took place none of my keys worked so I had to buy a license and at that point the only option was the full new retail llicense at $250. I think tat officially makes this the most expensive Atom (clover trail) PC on the market, but I'm still happy. I love this hardware and form factor and with a clean version this thing is actually pretty snappy. Thanks for all the posts.

9. holsen

holsen Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank kkari for these apps but how can instal them?

10. wataru

Yeah, Windows license policy is really annoying. Although I haven't tested, the original Windows license should be deactivated before re-installing with a couple of cmd commands. Only then will MS license server recognize the original license is not being used and can be used again. Or it will continue to notify that the license is over its installation limit or currently being used by another pc. Another way is to call MS to confirm that your original license is not being used so that they can deactivate the license for you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015