after fresh install Win8 Pro (clean install), all mysterious issues solved (LiveUpdate, sleep etc)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by wataru, May 26, 2013.

1. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Now I know the stock Win 8 on Asus TF810C is heavily corrupted. I was never able to connect LiveUpdate (any version) and my tablet frequently died from deep sleep. A fresh install of Win 8 Pro (free from my university) solves both of the two issues! I can connect to LiveUpdate at anytime and my tablet never dies from sleep again (tested for several weeks now). No need to tweak anything to make it work.

After four months of being tortured, I returned to the origin and finally solved the problem.

2. beachman

beachman Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, Yes!

I have struggling with sleep issues, battery drain, wifi problems and freezing for 6 months. And now I did the same as you, a clean install with a newly downloaded Win 8 Pro. And guess what, not a single issue since then!! Indeed the stock Win8 on TF810C is corrupted!!

This is how I did it:
    (I take no responsibility for this guide, do it at your own risk. If you don't know what you're doing, DONT DO IT)
    1. Go to Upgrade to Windows 8 with only a product key - Microsoft Windows (change "en-us" in url for your specific country, I'm fom Sweden and changed it to "sv-SE"). Important, you must run this installer on the tablet or else you may get wrong windows version downloaded.
    2. Use this tool to extract OEM product key from bios :Windows 8 Product Key Viewer
    3. Or if you have purchased Win 8 Pro upgrade just use that key instead.
    4. Make a bootable USB, Important if you not using the OEM product key, you must make a PID.txt file and place it on the newly created bootable USB using this guide: Solve Windows 8 Clean Installation Product Key Do Not Match Problem
    5. Go to pc settings, advanced - UEFI settings, and change in bios to boot from USB
    6. Windows installer should start, Delete all partitions on disc to make sure no Asus crapware is left! Make sure you have backed up everything important first!!!!
    7. Important!!!! You must have a USB-keybord to do this since no drivers for dock-keyboard and touch will not work out of the box with a clean Win 8 install!!!! A USB mouse is very handy too. I dont know how to do it if you not having the dock, since the bootable flash drive using one USB port and you need another one for the keyboard?? Mayby you can create a booatable SD-card?
    8. After install, just download asus driver pack on another computer (no driver for wifi at this time) and put it on a usb drive , and install it on the Asus. Run all windows updates, after that you should have all drivers set up and no unknown devices in device manager!!
    9. Install Asus Live update
    10. Done!

Enjoy a rock solid tablet!!!!!

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  3. wataru

I did exactly the same thing as you did. Thanks for putting out the detail steps. Basically, Win8 is downloadable from MS site and you only need to know your product key. And you can do a clean install from there.

4. Lord Augastus

Lord Augastus Pen Pal - Newbie

Thats what I have been saying. This page should have a PSA post to let all new owners of Vivotab to reinstall OS after wipe. It help remove all old crappy software and updates with new improced OS and all latest updates avoiding old broken ones, with Asus drivers which are badly needed.

5. kittysu

kittysu Pen Pal - Newbie

Can someone who has done this check if all function keys (wireless toggle, brightness etc) work as expected?

I am having problems with some function keys, possibly a setting, possibly update related, and if I need to rollback, I might just go the whole way and do a clean install.

Thanks.

6. wataru

I believe the stock OS has issues with f2 and f3 function keys (toggle wireless and bluetooth). The issues still exist in a clean install. All other function keys work fine (sound, airplane, etc.)

Also bear in mind that clean install removes Asus camera app (more functions than win8 camera app). But that's not important to me though.

7. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If this were an Asus laptop, I'd tell you to install the ATK package and Wireless console, but all Asus has on their driver page for the TF810 is a driver package. If you haven't done so yet, I'd download that and proceed to install it. If you can choose what to install, you could look for those components. I'd make sure system restore is turned on and create a restore point just in case it beings back some issues.

If I had a TF810, I'd try it myself, but unfortunately, I don't have one.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  8. beachman

beachman Pen Pal - Newbie

After installing Asus driver pack, all function keys will work including wifi and brightness!

The only thing you will loose is ASUS Apps (Camera app etc).

I can tell you the battery Life is really really good after a clean install. I haven't charged my tablet since my first post in this thread! That's 6 days agoo!!

I would reckomend everyone to do a Clean install, all wifi, battery and sleep issues are gone!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  9. WellThen

WellThen Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm. I wonder whether upgrading to Windows 8 Pro would accomplish the same thing...

10. schwarz86

schwarz86 Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you created a backup image or anything similar in the case something is going wrong?