Affordable Tablet PC for drawing/painting (Motion vs. Fujitsu)?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Duchessa, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Duchessa

Duchessa Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello! This is my first time on the forums here, so if I do or say something dumb I apologize in advance, and please just tell me if I do :)

I researched a lot on this subject, but some forum posts/articles/etc are a little dated so I wanted a current opinion.

I was debating between a Motion Computing LE1700 and a Fujitsu T5010, leaning toward the LE1700 because apparently the Fujitsu has a bit of a floaty feel when drawing due to a thick protective layer, according to some. Or are these too outdated? Is it worth it to get a newer model of either, like the Motion J3400/3500 or Fujitsu T900s? Or should I get an entirely different slate/convertible?
    I do not know too much about computers, so please bear with me.

Thanks to anyone who answers!

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

Originally I just wanted to spend around $200 or to get something to play with, but I would consider something $300-$400 if it was worth it.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?

Yes, this is my only option if I want something for my purposes as far as I know.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?

Windows tablet PC. Does notebook convertible refer to things like Fujitsus? If so, I wouldn't mind that.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    5 to7-inches
    7.1 to 10-inches
    10 to 13-inches
    Above 13-inches

The 10" plus range. 12"-15" would be nice.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?

USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?

Not really. I would say I don't care for much Apple stuff, but from what I understand they don't have anything for my purposes.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?

Since I was looking into older models I don't think I can be too picky, but 3+ would be nice. I know some have extra battery options or the like, which is ok.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Drawing for sure, occasional web and email, but the latter isn't much of a concern to me. Note-taking would be cool, but for me this is almost strictly for drawing.
    This is really just for me and not for my classes, though if it could perhaps be something suitable for college animation/art classes once I am out of the traditional art track my college has us do for ~2 years before we choose concentrations, that would be great.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Windows please; while I like my iPhone, I didn't care for my old Mac (which has been replaced).

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Photoshop, Paint Tool Sai, Sketchbook Pro, etc. Occasionally things like Microsoft Word I suppose.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

No, probably not.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?

No.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?

I honestly don't know much about screen resolution but from what I understand higher is better for art...

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

I would like to be able to use it outdoors.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Yes and yes; I need a pen with pressure sensitivity. Wacom would probably be best, if not just because I haven't used anything with N-trig before.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

Hard drive/memory: Whatever suits the programs I mentioned and maybe a few more (most likely nothing on par with Photoshop though) is fine with me. (Though the bigger the better if possible.)

Expandable: Doesn't really matter to me.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Regular USB and SD, but HDMI doesn't really matter.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

Weight isn't too much of an issue.

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Nope, not that I can think of.

2. greenblob

greenblob Pen Pal - Newbie

You might want to consider the ThinkPad X200t or X201t as well.

3. Duchessa

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into them too. The ThinkPads were also something I was thinking about but I wasn't sure which was best for me.

4. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. Duchessa

Thank you for the reply and link to your review! I think the VivoTab's screen itself might be a bit small for me though. I have terrible eyesight, so it wouldn't be too usable without glasses/contacts when drawing and with them, smaller screens tend to strain my eyes. I probably should have just said up front big screen or bust, but I wanted to be lenient to see all options I have. Thanks though!

6. davey

davey Pen Pal - Newbie

You might be able to snag an x220t for under $400 if you're patient. Lenovo even sold some new x230t's for $450ish. currently on ebay I see a few, maybe missing a HDD or something but still.

7. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

X230t's for 400-ish??? Where? I waited and waited for an i7 refurb and all I was able to get was 700-ish on ebay. I've seen some for 500 but they are dented and crashed hard drive (hopefully and not more serious like busted motherboard)...

8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

A new I5 M Series is $788 in the outlet ThinkPad X230T | 34352JU | Lenovo Outlet (US) I think you're correct, at that price, a refurbed I7 will probably be in the $700-ish range. At least in the Lenovo Outlet. Still, if you could catch one of Lenovo's Outlet sales, you could probably get closer to your price if you're patient and persistent. But for the Aspect Ratio (16:10) and Resolution (should be HD+ like the X301), this would be the perfect portable convertible notebook.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  9. davey

davey Pen Pal - Newbie

The x230 tablets sold for $480 but had sandy bridge i3's. They've got to all be gone by now. I dont think lenovo would let an i7 out the door for anything close to that

10. Duchessa

Thanks for all the helpful responses! The ThinkPad x220t is sounding tempting, especially since it is Wacom penabled. Out of curiosity, is this one of the first ThinkPads to be Wacom penabled or are they all? Is the x220t pretty rugged? Also, since they're around the same ballpark price, how does the Motion J3400 compare to it? Since it will pretty much be used strictly for art, digitizers and sensitivity are important to me (as well as the simple "does it run the things I want?" question someone not tech-savvy like me would like to know).