Affordable 3D CAD Application?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Steve S, Apr 10, 2014.

1. seeyar

seeyar Pen Pal - Newbie

Is Google Sketchup cad enough?

2. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

Few days ago, Smithmicro (re-packagers or Clip Studio Paint into Manga Studio 5) emailed me an offer on ViaCAD 2D/3D software
    [​IMG]

I tried to look it up on their website, but it seems to be a email exclusive offer kinda thing. They had it on sale for $49. If you're interested I can send you the link I was given on the email.

3. electronbee

electronbee Pen Pal - Newbie

Autodesk 123D has a whole suite of applications that they offer for free. They have the free tier which allows you to use them and then the Pro tier which gives more benefits. Looks very promising.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Autodesk 123D has a whole suite of applications...>>

electron: Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll take a look, but my experience with freeware (especially CAD freeware) is that it's all crippled in some way or another. Some apps are only 2D (or 2.5D; what is that, anyway...?), some won't allow you to save... All perfectly understandable, of course; these developers want you to buy their app, and I'm willing to do that. I'm just not willing to pay $2000+... plus expensive annual updates... for a capable CAD application. That's why I think that MoI Version 3 is such a bargain; wire frame plus solid modeling, all for 1/10 the cost of other "adult" applications...

PS: Sorry about the short rant!

5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

6. Steve S

WillAdams likes this.
  7. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

What was your reasonīng for not using Sketchup? It's free, it's 3d, it allows accurate dimensioning, etc. It's my tool of choice for making base maps at work. Not being judgmental, just curious.

8. ron2k_1

ron2k_1 calibuchi Senior Member

What's the difference between the free and paid version? I was considering it for a while as I'm about to build my own house so I wanted to play around with some designs. I thought accurate dimensions was not available in the free version. I think I was reading somewhere that snapping dimensions to walls and that sort of thing was not available too

Swiped from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

9. Steve S

<<...What was your reasonīng for not using Sketchup?..>>

Steve: Not sure if your question was directed at me or WillAdams, but will answer for myself. I have nothing against SketchUp; my choice was driven by my personal history and experience. I've used industrial CADD and lofting (creation of smooth, continuous surfaces once a wire model has been established) for may years, so I'm used to, and very comfortable with, the types of UIs that these systems typically possess. In more recent years, I've used CadKey / KeyCreator which used very similar UI controls, but I eventually became unhappy with the high cost of the basic software and especially the ridiculous (to me) cost for annual updates. MoI 3 features a simplified, but still familiar UI, that is suitable for a tablet and yet also has the power and detailed flexibility to create very exacting solid models with very complex shapes. So that's why I chose it.

Again, nothing against SketchUp; I've simply come to this point from a specific set of user experiences...

WillAdams likes this.
  10. Steve S

@WillAdams : I'm in the process of getting a new desktop PC to replace my (nearly) 10-year old Aurora, and for various reasons I am once again looking at affordable CAD. After surveying several candidates, I'm looking seriously at TurboCAD because of price and the look of its UI, which resembles systems that I've worked with in the past. I'm wanting to do both wireframe and solid modeling. I revisited your wiki; any thoughts on other decent candidates below about $200?