Affinity Photo:Photoshop For The iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by etoons, Apr 2, 2018.

1. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Affinity Photo is an amazing professional level app for digital art and photo editing. Its comparable to photoshop, and has so many features. I bought Affinity Photo when it was first released on the iPad, and it had many bugs and annoyances. Most of these bugs have since been fixed. It is also only 20 dollars one time purchase. Looking at you Clip Studio, looking at you. It even let's you use keyboard shortcuts when connected to a Bluetooth keyboard, like csp. Designer is also coming to the iPad. It is Affinity's take on Adobe Illustrator. I wonder how good it will be on the iPad when released. Desktop apps still have a lot more features than ones on the ipad, but Damn...they sure are coming close. The only problem with the iPads is the memory. I can't see these apps handling too many layers with a mere 4 GB ram, But it's adequete.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    dellaster and WillAdams like this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@etoons — Affinity photo was not available for my iPad Mini 4, back when I had Apple iStuff, but I got it for the PC and I like it a lot. Good value for 50 bucks. It's not all that great for processing RAW from my camera but Capture One Pro (Express version for Sony cameras, free) takes care of that aspect for me.

3. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I use affinity photo, along with clip studio on my iPad pro for digital art. I don't have it on desktop because I already have Photoshop for that (My office gives us access to Adobe's CC Suite!)

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I have it and appreciate it but it's not particolarly great for painting also.

5. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

I've got somewhat of a bone to pick with Serif with regards to Affinity Photo, lol. Got it on my iPad Pro, loved that there was a decent photo -editing app on it finally, but Lord do I not like the personas UI. It's absolutely horrendous for illustrator workflow purposes, and the gestures are stupidly flow-breaking. If there was an option to create custom personas, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly, but as it is, it is simply too unintuitive and takes too long to get the simplest things done, as opposed to Procreate's UI and gestures, which is clean and functional and gets out of your way when getting any work done.

Serif's maverick design philosophy comes at the expense of user efficiency, imho.

6. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah I wish you can make your own personal, but I kinda like how it is not very simple, but has more features than procreate. (Ik I'm a weird person lol)

7. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

Clip studio, on the other hand, I absolutely love too, but I hate the subscription payment

8. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

I just use keyboard shortcuts instead of the gestures (I hate the gestures too)

9. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

The feature -set is fine, A-Photo has great tools. The problem is they still haven't fully figured out touch gestures for an OS that is optimized for touch, and their persona design philosophy absolutely kills that flow. Keyboard shortcuts are cool and all, but what happens when I can't whip out a BT keyboard, say if I'm on a train? The touch needed to be on point to account for that, and they're just not. Credit goes to Serif for tackling such an ambitious project, and they've succeeded in a lot of counts, but they've faile on some as well.

Example: why are there different sub-menus for 2-finger touch depending on persona selected? IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!

smh lol...