AES/MPP dual protocol pens were a mistake

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shogmaster, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

They don't work well in neither AES nor MPP mode. Stutters, weird hicks ups, missing strokes, errand barrel button commands, and I paid extra for this?!?

I just did 2 videos of Lenovo Flex 5 14" 4500u over last two days. The first video was full of weird pen behavior (and portrait mode by mistake to boot). Made me want to return the Flex back to Amazon immediately. Today I did a second video with the packed in Lenovo AES pen. Smooth as silk and no weirdness. $100 pen got destroyed by the packed in pen (prolly less than $60 at Lenovo). Now I want to keep the damn thing even though I already have perfectly great Samsung Notebook 9 Pro with EMR. I soooo miss having barrel button shortcuts on the Sammy...

Lesson here is that I will never mess with any of Wacom's dual protocol nonsense ever again. It's too buggy and expensive. Give AES a bad name. I've done some of my best work on AES. These dual protocol pens ruined that rep in my mind without realizing.

ATIVQ likes this.
  2. jedah

jedah Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the Bamboo Ink. When it first came out, I actually thought it was an upgrade over the Surface pen on my Surface 3 at the time because of the lower IAF. But, if I ever go to a store to test out a newer Surface, I notice it's definitely not as good.

Also, is the Dell protocol pen the most current AES pen they have? In @MobileTechReview 's review of the Dell XPS 13 2-in-1, the lines looked really jittery. I wonder now if that was b/c of dual protocol (I can't tell these pens apart from each other just by looking at them).

I wish Best Buy would put out the manufacturer's stock pen. The Best Buys near me (in LA) always have the Bamboo Ink next to the laptop to try. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if I've ever really tried a Wacom AES device because of this.

3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

AFAIK the Dell pen I have is their latest AES pen with AES 2.0 features like tilt. I spent $100 on it. Sucker...

Also with AES, wacom allowed all sorts of customization in frequencies and such for the OEMs. So if you aren't testing it with its "native" pen it won't work even though both the pen and panel are ARS 1.0 or whatever.

Wacom is like that psycho girlfriend that you just can't quit bc sex is too good...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I noticed the same thing. The 1st generation of the Wacom Ink pen worked better on the Surface Pro 3 then the default Pro 3 or Pro 4 pen.

I'm on the Pro 5 now, and I found the Ink pen didn't work as well on it. But to be fair the Pro 3 & Pro 4 pens don't work that well on the Pro 5 as well, you need the actual Pro 5 pen or the more recent slim pen to really get the better pen performance. But even the 2nd gen Wacom Ink pen didn't work as well. It was with the Pro 5 they introduced the pixel sense accelerator chip, and given the difference in performance with using the Pro 3/4 pens against the Pro 5 pen, the pen itself must work in tandum with the pixel sense chip. So in cases like the Pro 3 pen, Pro 4 pen, and all (or most) of the 3rd party pens like the Wacom Ink Pens must not be taking advantage of that chip.

jedah likes this.