Advueu V800XPT-2

Discussion in 'Other Brands' started by jerryrock, Mar 25, 2005.

1. jerryrock

jerryrock Pen Pal - Newbie

Often overlooked in the tablet pc forums is the latest contender from Advueu the V800XPT-2. While it is not the most powerful of the lot it certainly is one of the most portable. A brillant 8.4" digitizer display, 800Mhz Transmeta Crusoe processor, 512MB of ram, 40GB hard drive, USB 2.0, VGA out, built in wifi, modem, ethernet, camera and mic all under $1000. make this tablet an excellent buy. It comes with Windows XP Tablet Edition 2005 installed, 2 leather carring portfolios; one with a USB keyboard/touchpad built in.
    The tablet is very light and ergonomic. Holding it with your left arm places the scroll buttons on the front of the tablet under your fingers and frees the right hand for writing It functions flawlessly and the WIFI is very fast. Excellent for internet browsing and powerful enough to run Adobe Photoshop CS. The 6 hour long life battery combined with the low power consuming processor add to the portability of this PC.
    Advueu aquired the tablet rights from TDV Vision. The tablet is actually manufactured by VAC Corporation.

Jerry

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I take it you work or for or represent them? It's always nice to learn about new products, I'm totally unfamiliar with this unit.

Brian

www.BargainPDA.com | www.DigitalCameraReview.com | www.NotebookReview.com | www.SpotStop.com

3. jerryrock

No, I dont work for Advueu or represent them in any way. I am a photographer and was looking for a compact tablet to upload digital images in the field.(The V800XPT-2 also has a 4 in 1 card reader built in) I did a lot of research and finally found a tablet that was affordable and functional. Since I could not find any information in the forums about it I took a chance and bought one at newegg.com for $999. (No, I don't represent them either)
    It is my first tablet PC and I am very pleased with it.

Jerry

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

jerryrock,

Thanks for sharing that product. I went to the Advueu website and took a look. That is a nice looking Tablet. The low-power (long battery life) advantage and low price point could be a perfect solution for many users.

BTW, I used to live up in Saratoga, so I travel through Amsterdam often (to make my way up there). It is nice to have you join us!

Barry J. Doyle
    Editor in Chief
    TabletPCReviewSpot.com

5. montevale

montevale Pen Pal - Newbie

I have ordered my Advueu V800xpt-2 from tigerdirect.ca 3 days ago.
    This is going to be my first tablet pc.

Unfortunatelly I couldn't find any decent reviewes of this tablet anywhere, (I'm not counting older models under different names for some reason it sounded like they had problems with the drivers in the beginning until Advueu "aquired" them) and yes I'm taking my chance buying this unit.
    If there is anyone who is using it or knows if there is a user group for this model would you please post the info.

In my opinion this is the smallest one out there and reasonably priced.
    I'm planning to install MS Office with either One Note, Agilix's GoBinder or Franklin Covey's Tablet Planner. (anyone using the progs please coment on your comparison... I'm leaning towards the GoBinder)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    ... a fregat looks great in the harbour, but it is not what it is made for.

6. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Monte, if you're interested in doing a full wrightup on the unit, PM me.

7. jerryrock

This is a photo of the Advueu V800XPT-2 Slate in the included keyboard/carrying case. (The other included case is without keyboard)

Attached Files:

8. Barry J. Doyle

Jerry,

Can you tell us how you like it? If you are interested in reviewing this model, please let us know!

9. jerryrock

Barry,
    I started this thread back in March. Please read my previous posts. I don't know what more I can say about it except that I own 2 other PCs and this tablet is the one I use the most. Portability factor is the best feature along with the long battery life. I don't know why people would pay $1,800 plus for the new Motion computing 8.4" tablet, when the Advueu Tablet comes with more features and accessories. I think they have read some bad reviews about the Transmeta Crusoe processors in older configurations (256m ram). when combined with 512 MB,this processor hits it's "sweet spot!" The processors low power consumption adds to the tablet's long battery life (6 hour) and of course it's not as fast as my Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz processor, but then again I have never had a BSOD with the Advueu.
    The tablet fits easily in my camera bag and downloading pictures is a breeze. A 40 gig hard drive gives me lots of storage space. I can even run Photoshop CS on it.
    I love it!

10. Barry J. Doyle

Thanks Jerry. I actually was curious to hear what you thought after having the Advueu for awhile. I appreciate you sharing.

11. dossettd

dossettd Pen Pal - Newbie

Strange - I phoned TigerDirect.ca to order one and the rep warned me against buying it. He said he had to return them - wouldn't boot, etc. He also said that the support is terrible. Oddly I don't see anything to that effect on Websites. I'm wondering if it is a reliable unit.

12. jerryrock

That's odd, mine his been working flawlessly for over 6 months now. I use it on a daily basis. Support is lacking from the Advueu website however. Check the model being sold, the tablets manufactured by Vision (V800XPT,V800XPT-1) have only 256mb of ram and smaller hard drives do not function as well as those modified by Advueu. They really reached a great balance of performance and speed by increasing ram to 512mb.

13. dossettd

Hi there Jerryrock.

I purchased the Advueu V800XPT-2S for my son and will be giving it to him next week. Question: how did you get 6 hours. I'm getting about an hour. Is that with wi-fi off? Also I noticed that it's a bit sluggish loading and running. I have installed Logmein as well as Norton AV. Maybe its that &^%$ Norton.

Also I noticed that you can't download the manual or drivers from the Website. I tried to install Freenotes and OfficeInk utilities from the CD included but I got an error that the Tablet PC driver wasn't installed. I installed the digitizer driver but still no luck. Did you have any success?

Also I tried out the GoBinder lite and it looks like it could be useful. However I would want to experiment a bit before I get the full version. Another question: after selecting writing and converting to text, it leaves gaps and carriage returns. I want to remove all spaces and word wrap automatically. Have you any suggestions?

14. dossettd

I purchased the Advueu V800XPT-2S for my son and will be giving it to him next week. Question: You are supposed to get 3 hours battery life. I'm getting about an hour. Is that with wi-fi off? Also I noticed that it's a bit sluggish loading and running. I have installed Logmein as well as Norton AV. Maybe its that &^%$ Norton.

Also I noticed that you can't download the manual or drivers from the Website. I tried to install Freenotes and OfficeInk utilities from the CD included but I got an error that the Tablet PC driver wasn't installed. I installed the digitizer driver but still no luck. Did you have any success?

Also I tried out the GoBinder lite and it looks like it could be useful. However I would want to experiment a bit before I get the full version. Did you choose GoBinder? If so, I have a question: after selecting writing and converting to text, it leaves gaps and carriage returns. I want to remove all spaces and word wrap automatically. Have you any suggestions?

15. jerryrock

dossettd,
    You purchased the V800XPT-2S which comes with the 3 hour battery. The V800XPT-2 comes with a 6 hour battery. I believe you can purchase the 6 hour battery separately as well as an additional stylus. I get anywhere from 4-5 hours of continuous use (wifi on) with the "6 hour" battery.

Norton is a resouce hog! I use McAfee antivirus. I'm not familiar with Logmein so I can't help you there. The key to speeding up performance in a system with a Transmeta Crusoe processor and 512MB of memory is to remove start up programs that are not essential, turn off Windows visual effects by going to Control Panel/System/Advanced/Performance. (I only have smooth edges of screen fonts enabled) This helps performance tremendously! Also keep the hard drive defragmented. I use a third party utility called Diskeeper 9 which does a much better job than Windows defragmenter.

I don't use any of the utilities that came with the tablet because I had the same problem you are experiencing. I believe they were witten for a previous version of Tablet Edition and are not compatable with 2005. And yes support on the website as well as email support from Advueu SUCKS! Another Advueu owner was able to get telephone support but I never tried.

With all that, I still love my Advueu. It is my first tablet and the computer I use the most. I am currently weaning myself off they keyboard. I found that with they keyboard attached you have to keep the mouse pointer out of the textbox you are typing in or it wreaks havok on word placement! Have you tried the voice recognition? Purchase a headset with a boom mike and some training and you will be amazed.

16. dossettd

Hi Jerry

Thanks for the tips - they did the trick! Much faster now! Also I disabled LogMeIn on startup - I used the msconfig utility. As well, I noticed that adobe put some kind of "speedup' program in the startup folder - biffed that, too. BTW, LogMeIn is a handy way to remotely control your PC from anywhere, and it's free. I use it to access the files on my home PC, etc. (No, I don't work for them.) Go to https://secure.logmein.com/go.asp?page=home. And thanks for the suggestion re: the extended battery. May need to get one.

Someone should start a forum for this model. That would be a big help!

David

17. jerryrock

David,
    Windows XP has remote access built in. You may not need to use LogMeIn unless you are accesing your home PC from a different operating system.

18. yelnef

yelnef Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know if you can buy the digital pen for the Advueu V80XPT-2 by itself. Mine is damaged and I need another. If you can buy them, does anyone know where you can buy them. Thanks for any information you can give. Yelnef

19. Barry J. Doyle

20. brunhilde

brunhilde Pen Pal - Newbie

Ive been waiting for "my" tablet pc and when I saw it both in Amazon and Tigerdirect I got it. I loved it! Small and cuddly. I didn't have much time to play with it. Yes the battery seemed to be about an hour but the on and off seemed pretty seamless. I hadn't tried the keyboard yet. I spent my time downloading powertoys and Protection stuff and setting up my desktop. Some of the plastic parts, the camera turret, the pen and the ports door looked a bit cheap and fragile. I didn't try too hard at the Ir link for the keyboard.

And then the pen broke. first the top popped off and when I went to put it back together the casing broke. Not good. I tried to link up the keyboard, still not working.

Meanwhile Tigerdirect had stopped carrying it, ominous. Then I tried to get a new pen from newegg. they stopped carrying it. Ominouser!! So now it sits on charger waiting for a new pen from Advueu. Then I will try again to contact the keyboard.

Avueu's support seems supportive for now. I bought a two year service warrenty when I bought it. I am repeating to myself "being first on the block is not good, Being first on the block is not good>"

If they support me as their crummy plastic parts disintegrate I think i will still be happy. Slowness of internet access and slowness of screen refresh dont worry me too much if they dont get any slower. I am worried about sunshine on the screen . The sound quality is crummy and I hadn't tried plug-in speakers yet. Does anyone know about that?. I hadn't tried the additional screen setup yet. Does anyone know about that? I plan to install Dragon voice recognition. I've been using that on my desktop for ages. Does anyone know about that?
    The elaborate setup for heat loss worries me a bit. Has anyone used this in a warmer environment?

Brunhilde