Advising my daughter on an iPad Pro and Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by WillAdams, Dec 9, 2016.

1. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Okay, my daughter is about to graduate and is ready to replace her long in the tooth MacBook Pro w/ Retina display which she bought at the beginning of college. She's majoring in illustration at R.I.T., and is quite spoiled by the Retina display.

My off-the-cuff suggestion last night was that she get:

- iPad Pro w/ Pencil (thoughts on which size?)
    - Mac Mini and Wacom Cintiq or other suitable stylus-enabled display (suggestions of specific models / sizes would be very welcome)

I'd be glad of any thoughts on this (I'm hoping to get my Special Edition Wacom Intuos 3 back) --- esp. suggestions of apps for her to try out (I'm hoping she can continue to use her Adobe Creative Suite CS6) esp. apps for the iPad Pro which support the Pencil well.

Thanks!

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Ipad pro 12.9" and Procreate. Not the smaller one due to the lower amount of ram.
    Or if she finds more comfortable drawing in a more traditional painting software I'd say Paintstorm Studio. Though I would never leave Procreate for any other iPad app.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. WillAdams

Thanks!

Looks like the Wacom Pro 13 is out, due to low-resolution --- think the 16" unit would pair well w/ the iPad Pro 12.9? Seems as if they would:

- Wacom Pro 16" 3840 x 2160 275ppi
    - iPad Pro 12.9" 2732 x 2048 264ppi

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The newer Cintiq Pro 13 may only have an HD 1920x1080....but it's really not that bad....it may not technically qualify as Retina level, but it's more then good enough. Sometimes a higher res display could be a burden more then a blessing. My old Cintiq Companion 2 had a 2560x1440 res but I deliberately kept it down at 1920x1080. Even with scaling accounted for....Photoshops interface just took so much better to 1920x1080.

Regarding the iPad.....I have the 9.7 inch Pro but I'm somewhat conflicted onto which to recommend. The 9.7 is the perfect "to go" size.....and if I got the 12.9 ....I doubt it use it nearly as much since I wouldn't really have it with me that often because of the larger size. That being said....as Azzart mentioned....the 12.9 inch model has double the ram.....and in the few art apps that offer the blessing of Layer Groups (Medibang and Paintstorm)....on the 9.7 Pro.....it is very very easy to hit the 2GB ram ceiling. It's great for sketching or art done with few layers....but if your a desktop program trained layer hog.....the lower ram in the 9.7 pro can be down right infuriating.

I would wait a few months till Apple refreshes the IPad line may offer more sizes and hopefully more Ram overall.

And as far as the Mac Mini....considering she's been on a MacBook Pro for a while, might she prefer staying with a MacBook instead of a Desktop oriented MacMini? Not to suggest you rack up a massive bill....but the newer Cintiq Pro 13 and 16 can get power/data/video from a single USB - C connection....and with the Newer MacBooks being literally all about USB C....the New MacBook Pros and the New Cintiq Pros should play very nicely together.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    WillAdams likes this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

And Procreate. :p

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Procreate finally added Layer Groups?
    Took them long enough

7. WillAdams

Mostly my daughter just does straight up drawing (w/ traditional tools) and doesn't do as much w/ layers as I'd be inclined to --- good point about the size of the Photoshop interface, but I think she'll be more concerned about the visible pixels (mostly she's been transitioning to Serif's Affinity Designer/Photo).

Another MacBook just isn't an option financially (to my mind) unless it's her only machine --- I think the compromise of the smaller iPad and the 16" Cintiq and an affordable Mac Mini (may go refurbished or used or build an inexpensive Hackintosh) would be workable.

Thanks!

8. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If she can hold on to her macbookpro then she should.
    My advice -
    • Wait for ipadpro2 12.9 inch 2nd generation
    • then buy Astropadstudio
    • work with full fledged desktop programmes of Adobe creative cloud.
    • replace the whole setup later with SurfacePro6 when Ntrig attains parity with the Apple pencil.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017