Advice Requested

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by SaintXx, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

I own an ASUS EP-121 - a few weeks into owning it light started to bleed through the LCD display near the center of the screen. I RMA'd the device and two weeks later received the repaired unit - the display would not turn on.

I immediately packed the tablet back up and sent it back to the factory (Markham, Ontario) - two weeks later I received the repaired unit: there was noticeable yellow tinting along the left edge of the screen. Once again I RMA'd the device.

I included a letter asking the repair department to take their time with the unit, really examine the replacement screen and check for blemishes before sending it back to me.

I've just received it this last week and the replacement screen has a much lighter yellow tint on the left edge (I can live with that) and also 2 spots of white light bleeding through the LCD along the top edge. These spots of white light are only noticeable with a black background but then they are very noticeable. I watched a letterboxed movie last night and was somewhat distracted throughout - especially given the repair history I've gone through.

I'm asking for advice. Is this the best I can reasonably hope for or is ASUS actually capable of sending me back a repaired device without blemishes? Sending it via RMA seems to produce random results and in the meantime I'm losing time - I bought this tablet for work and so far I've lost 6 weeks of opportunity while it's been in the factory or being shipped.

What is the best course of action at this point and what can I reasonably expect from ASUS?

Thanks in advance!

2. JackBFlippinNimble

JackBFlippinNimble Scribbler - Standard Member

I have 2 Asus computers. the 121 and a G73jh. I bought the G73 last year, and it is a very powerful lappy. However, many people had issues with overheating and the video card. I read the threads on the G73 with interest as I saw many stories about less than stellar customer service.

I bought the EP121 knowing that if I had issues, I would probably have a fight on my hands to get issues fixed in any sort of timely manner. However, since I had a flawless G73, I was ready to chance that.

I have had my 121 since March, and no issues at all. So I know that Asus is very capable of giving you a great machine, but you certainly should not hope for great customer service. I would bite the bullet and call, ask for a manager, explain what is going on and see if someone can actually inspect the unit they will send as a replacement. I wouldn't hold my breath, but perhaps, just perhaps, whomever you speak to will take the initiative to follow up on this RMA.

3. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the advice. According to the repair sheet it looks like the tablet stayed with a supervisor for a day or two for observation - that supervisor must have missed the very light yellow tinting (forgiveable) but decided the light bleeding through two spots at the top was an acceptable amount? It's pretty noticeable on start-up when the screen is still black.

I've since done some reading on LCD light bleeding and it seems like a bit of the "luck of the draw" as to whether you get a display which has minimal light at the edges.

I'm feeling that the amount I paid for this device justifies demanding an unblemished display.

I've found a grey background picks up any yellow tinting easily and a black background (with the brightness up and in a darker room) picks up any light bleed. I wonder if they don't do this - that would be a shame because it's quick to do and seems to thoroughly vette the two big problems this display can have.

4. krfighter

krfighter Scribbler - Standard Member

Initially, my tablet did not have any issues. I would say for solid four months it was great. But then I got yellow tints on the corners, RMA'd the device and got a new one back. So far so good, but it has been only about a week since I got my unit back.
    So I do not know if it would make sense to send it once again, but if you can be very persuasive with the support guys, then probably you should do it.

Good luck!

5. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for all the input. I just had a session with the support centre, they took down a detailed history of what I've been through and they've requested 'special attention' for my repair. Hopefully that's not a made-up term!

Since I first posted this thread my screen has developed light bleeding through it in the top-left quadrant, just like the first screen. Just crazy.

I'm wondering, I can feel the screen being very warm where I rest my palm after sustained use. Where the screen is warm is where the light bleed develops. Is this just a coincidental observation or does my device have a defect that's harming the replacement screens?

6. wicked1

wicked1 Scribbler - Standard Member

I thought they all had the light bleed.. I'm on unit #3, (original + 2x rma's) and all 3 have had it. (eventually)

IF they finally fixed the issue are are successfully fixing the light bleed, let me know!! I'd like to get a properly fixed #4!

7. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh no! Where are you getting this light bleed? On the edges /corners or as spots nearer to the middle of the screen (top-left quadrant for me, twice now)?

I'd hate to hear that the light bleed in the middle of the screen is inevitable.

8. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

My tablet headed off to Markham Ontario today for screen replacement. I'll let you know how well they did - I must admit I now have low expectations for getting something back that's blemishless - I just don't think it's going to happen.

9. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Tablet returned today - actually a replacement (refurbished unit) - screen looks a lot better but there's still a little spot of light bleed on the top-right. I'm going to assume it's next to impossible to get a display without some of that so I'll ignore it.

I am worried those little light bleed spots in the center of the screen will return. Those are a deal breaker and they've happened twice to me now.

The new serial number is on a sticker on the back - there's no serial number on the bottom edge like the old one. I assume if I need to return this one that I should put this sticker back on the back?

It also says "refurbished 90 days limited warranty" on the sticker - which had better not apply to me!!

10. Mrono

Mrono Scribbler - Standard Member

I'd call CS to verify that your warranty is still intact.