Advice please (serious WIFI issues)

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by xirtamon, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xirtamon

xirtamon Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

For several months whenever the WiFi was enabled I would have serious audio latency and performance issues while listening to music.
    I tried every driver on the planet for the WiFi card... didn't resolve. Later I factory reset the laptop. That worked... for awhile... then the problem returned.

Then.. my WiFi reception all but disappeared. Other computers work fine. I have to bring the TM2 in the same room as the router to get WiFi signal.. even then it is extremely poor.
    I figured for sure it was a problem with the WiFi board, for sure. I tried a USB WiFi receiver. It works great in my other computers. It has the SAME problem! It gets almost ZERO signal when plugged into my TM2!

Any idea what could be going on? Could something in my TM2 be interfering with the WiFi signal? That's nuts! I'm tired of being tethered to my LAN. I need WiFi.
    I'm not sure if I should just buy a new computer or try replacing the WiFi card anyway.. (really cheap on eBay)
    If it's a motherboard issue it's probably not work the $150+ to resolve it.

Thanks!

2. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

Does the problem happen under all Power profiles or just under one of them? Given that your USB device also presented the problem, I'd say your wireless card is fine. The problem is somewhere else. Some Windows setting maybe.

3. xirtamon

Thanks for the feedback!
    I just changed it from "balanced" to "high performance". Same problem.. interesting idea though.. should I try another? Actually those were the only two options...
    I tried the WiFi. It runs at about 20% the proper download speed and 5% the proper upload speed when in the same room as the router. When I leave the room.. it doesn't work at all. I've tried this at multiple locations / networks / routers. Same problem exists everywhere.

4. Genjinaro

Genjinaro Wireless Addict

My HP TM2 (a year ago) had the wires for the Wifi Antenna, worn away. Same issue. I've just recently had ordered it to be repaired.

I'm out of warranty.

Sent from my iPod Touch 5

5. xirtamon

Thanks for the feedback. The thing is that external WiFi adapters also don't work when plugged in.. there is very very weak signal. When I put it about 6 feet from the router I get about 25% speed. If I leave the room I get nothing at all.
    I figured if it was an antenna issue the external adapters should still work since they don't rely on any internal antenna.

6. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Make sure the drivers are installed correctly. I'm guessing the internal wifi is using an internal PCI bus not a USB bus, but I could be wrong, but if it is on a USB bus, make sure you have the right chipset drivers install, that controls the power for USB ports, so that might explain why the USB dongle isn't working either. Also, try different USB ports. I know the left USB port for me is loose, and depending on the dongle or USB cable I have plugged in there, the connection can be iffy.

7. A30N

A30N Technologist

If you're getting poor speeds from both the USB adapter as well as the internal, then it's likely a more serious problem. As an IT guy, here are my ideas:

1. Virus! Your laptop has been zombified, and is being used in a bot-net. It won't matter what wifi adapter you use, the virus will consume most of your bandwidth.

How to test? Download Ubuntu (on another PC) and use YUMI to install it to a flash drive. Boot to Ubuntu on the flash drive, and test your internet speeds.

2. Failing Hard Drive! The hard drive is unable to write as fast as you can download.

How to test? Download Crystal Disk Mark and test your C: drive.

3. Bad Driver Or Corrupted Settings! With 70 million lines of code in Windows 7, there's lots that can go wrong.

How to test? Download and install the Windows 8 Enterprise trial. It will work fine without installing any 3rd party drivers.

4. Bad Motherboard/Systemboard! All that cat hair clogged the fan, and overheated it to the point that some of that solder connections melted.

How to test? You'll have similar issues if you try running Ubuntu from a flash drive as outlined above.

5. Bad Luck/Cursed! You've pissed off a Gypsy or other magick user, and they cast a spell on you!

How to test? Are a bunch of other things in your life suddenly going wrong too?

Malangyar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.