Advice appreciated: need to order Tablet today!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by t3search, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t3search

t3search Pen Pal - Newbie

I posted a few weeks ago and knew very little about Tablet PC's. I have immersed myself and know seem a bit more informed but possibly more confused. I had ordered the Fujitsu T4210 which was supposed to ship the next day and then was called back in 3 days to let me know that rather than receive the package as expected that I would need to wait 10 more days. Of course, I was slightly less than thrilled so I cancelled the order as I need a Tablet now!

I currently use an IBM X40 which has been a workhorse of a machine. I use it 4-5 hours a day and while traveling more like 7-9 hours per day. I am thinking that a convertible is the best choice for me right now with a slightly larger screen but still under 6.5 pounds. I mainly use MS Office, Outlook, and Internet Explorer but tend to have lots of windows open at one time and do require large harddrive storage for documents. A crisp indoor/outdoor screen, long battery life, and stability are all a must. Duo Core is also desired as I don't wantto turn around and buy another machine when Vista coms out. If IBM offered a Duo Core option right now, I would have already ordered it. Does anyone have any recommendations in 14.4" screen sizes? The options appear limited at best: Toshiba M7, new Gateway, and possibly ACER. Others would be welcome.

My ideal choice would be the ASUS R1F but I've spoken with the manufacturer and "MUM" is the word. I don't expect to see it until the end of September at the earliest.

2. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

end of september!? are you kidding I thought it was coming out freakin this month!

IM FREAKIN OUT MAN.

3. butanamine

butanamine Pen Pal - Newbie

Isn't the Gateway the only one you can get RIGHT now in Dual Core? I think everything else will have a bit of a wait... based on posts in this forum

edit: (...AND with large screen)

4. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

Interesting... I talked to them a couple of weeks ago and they were still thinking they'd get it out by mid July. I sure hope you're wrong! As for a "right now" tablet, I'd be tempted to go with the Acer. You don't need the graphics in the M7, and the Gateway is a heavyweight. Good luck!

5. NewbieX

NewbieX Pen Pal - Newbie

Argh... You gotta be joking... September?!!

6. Lunchbox

Lunchbox Pen Pal - Newbie

I know you are in need of a tablet today but the unfortunate truth is that most of these companies are out about a month before they get the tablet to you. I know this being on the receiving end of a gateway I purchased 6/29 and keep getting my arrival date pushed back, so far its at 7/25, but I'm not getting hopeful on that date either.

7. Videlicet

Videlicet Pen Pal - Newbie

More about the Asus...

I spoke with a representative today, and she said that her managers had just told her that Asus had not yet made a decision whether or not to bring it to America! I thought it was just a matter of when, not if. If this is correct, it's some pretty disappointing news for me. I would assume that it would take some time to get an American supply chain up and running. There's marketing and advertising, then setting up distribution...then you have to have infrastructure and facilities to take orders and to give customer support. Along with these, I'm sure there are many other factors I'm missing. If it hasn't even moved beyond where to sell it, I would assume that not many of these necessities have been implimented to bring it here.

September is looking pretty realistic.

As for me, I'm going with the M7. Especially with the delays people have been going through lately, I think I need to order now. If you don't need the discrete graphics, then you could go with the Acer. Just remember, though, that Vista will (arguably) be the most graphics intensive GUI ever created (please correct me if I'm wrong). Even without running graphics intensive applications, just running the full Aero capabilities of Vista will take some muscle. Speaking of muscle, you will need it with the Gateway. It's a beast.

With EasyGuard technologies on the M7, it would be the most secure of your choices. The M7 has some features like the biometric fingerprint scanner, an SD card security token, and a motion-sensing alarm system (you might have heard of this with a MacBook Pro). There are too many to list here, but you might want to check them out. Here is the link: http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/ebtext.to?page=360_easyguard&location=learn_about

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

all i know is that its time for Barry to spill the beans and let us know if this is true! I thought the ASUS was coming out any day now!!!

9. Lbgrowl

Lbgrowl Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. Videlicet

Videlicet Pen Pal - Newbie

The main difference I saw between the M7 and R20 is that the M7 has dedicated graphics. If you don't need this, you are just fine.

I'm sure there are more differences, but as far as I can tell, not that many. As some other posters have noted, the M7 is the "big brother."