advantage of NTFS vs. FAT 32???

Discussion in 'Asus' started by dantheman, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dantheman

dantheman Pen Pal - Newbie

well i've had my r1f for like two weeks now and one the last things left that i can do to "upgrade" it is change the file system to NTFS. is there really any advantage with NTFS over FAT32? i have gotten a few file system errors here and there, which i don't get with my desktop, which has an NTFS file system. i don't think that they were major things, windows seem to fix it. but i am tiring of the little errors and bugs that seem to crop up every now and again.
    granted i use the laptop a lot, but i guess what i would like to know is if i change the file system will it help anything, anywhere?

2. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

I think NTFS is more stable, but FAT32 is more compatible, ie. if you dual boot linux you can't read from NTFS without a bunch of work arounds.

3. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

yeh but if ur not using linux, then i'd suggest u go for ntfs. I was too lazy to change mine n just put up with fat, but now it's taking forever to defrag n even tho i have it set to defrag every time the screensaver is on, it still never finishes. n theres not a lot of file movement going on.

compared to ntfs, theres no reason to stick to fat, besides losing about 2% performance for the first week of use. (that means that fat32 will perform just a slight bit faster for the first few weeks, then reduce greatly as the disk gets fragmented easily, whilst ntfs is very very stable, reliable n performance doesn't dip that greatly, unless u have 14% or less of ur hard drive space left and haven't defragged in a while, but that is the same and even worse for fat32)

but be aware if u do try to change from fat32 to ntfs, u will (i haven't tried it, n would be surprised if it didn't) lose all data on the drive that u change it to.

so backup properly. n besides make both partitions ntfs as it's just much better overall.

4. Gennaro

Gennaro Pen Pal - Newbie

dantheman,

All you have to do is google "NTFS vs FAT32" And you'll get loads of sites, but here is a good one i found

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

Also, when you change the format of a disk, you're "reformatting" the drive, and it wipes everything clean, so back your files up mate!

Hope this helps =D

5. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

NTFS is 'faster' on larger partitions, while FAT32 (as mentioned) is older, so more compatible with a number of OS-es. Other than that, they are about the same. I have never seen benchmarks on the performance difference, either.

6. scrambler

scrambler Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually going to NTFS from FAT32 does not reformat the disk, and keeps all your files intact. I did it on mine using the conversion utility provided by asus without any problem.

microsoft article.
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/convertfat.mspx

This being said, you should always backup your data in case something goes wrong, but it normally goes fast and painlessly.

7. mattj

thanks scrambler. i did not know that. but i guessed it might be the case, since i very much doubted that Asus would put a link to that on the desktop of a brand new machine if it had the potential to wipe a large quantity of data :p

8. dantheman

dantheman Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks all. i will change my drive to NTFS here soon. because i don't use any other OS and it seems to be at least slightly advantageous.

9. mattj

it's really not "slightly advantageous" if u do a lot of heavy tasks and deal with lots of files n folders.

Also fragmentation affects system performance in a huge way. (and yes, more so when you are using your hard drive as virtual memory)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.