Adonit Note - The Apple pen we all were waiting for?

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by siddhartth, Jun 14, 2019.

?

What would you prefer?

1. Apple Pencil 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Adonit Note

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The video is self explanatory, did Apple opened up it's digitiser for adonit too? like it did for the Logitech for the crayon?

If it's that's the case then it's the Stylus iPad mini 5 owners needed. It's shaped like a real pen, pocket friendly and doesn't look as goofy as the pencil.
    But the question is,
    • Would it have the same 9ms low latency like the Apple pencil, d
    • it's nib has more friction,
    • is the nib finer?
    • is it less noisy?
    Is there a chance that Apple might have opened up it's digitiser standard for Wacom too?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    dellaster likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

“2018 iPad / iPad Pro and newer models.” So yeah, it’s using the built-in inking capability, like the crayon. No evidence of tilt or pressure sensitivity, however. That might not matter for note taking... the native palm rejection and small nib, to me, are of more importance. I’ll keep my eye on this.

If the nib feels more like an S Pen, sold! :D

DRTigerlilly and siddhartth like this.
  3. siddhartth

Seemingly much thinner nib than the Apple pencil. But not so sure about the friction. All the things that should have been available in the pencil from the beginning itself. Sadly, i can not test it myself as it will not be available in India. Anyways, i have already bought the Apple Pencil 2 for $150. I gotta lay in the bed i made. Can not throw it in the drawer now. So, My American and Japanese friends let me know if it's worth it. There's no reviews on the YouTube either. it's just 2 days old.

And OneNote on iOS doesn't have any pressure sensitivity to begin with. That is my primary notetaking App.

Let's wait for a side by side Apple Pencil 2 and Adonit Note comparison video.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    dellaster likes this.
  4. dellaster

I already have the Pencil 1 for pressure/tilt if I get an urge to be creative. As you correctly stated, OneNote (and Apple Notes for a that matter) don’t use either. So, no loss there. If it’s the same as the Pencil otherwise, and hopefully with more friction/softer nib, then I might go for it.

I don’t like the micro-USB connection for charging. Lightning would have been better if they couldn’t do USB-C for some reason (cost?). But I still have legacy devices that use mUSB so no biggie.

I do like that it doesn’t need to pair—no Bluetooth. I also like that it is shaped like a pen and appears to have a clip.

We’ll see.

wytn and siddhartth like this.
  5. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

I realise i'm interested in a ligther pocket-friendly pen, even with no pressure sensitivity.

One thing i could find a bit bothering personally,

"*Disconnect any previously connected digital stylus, such as Apple Pencil"

Will maybe see/think about all that later...

6. dellaster

https://www.amazon.com/Adonit-Note-Natural-Rejection-Stylus/dp/B07R9HPSYN
    Probably so that they don’t conflict.

Amazon.com now has it for sale, Prime shipping and all. So tempting, but I’m not currently located where I can conveniently receive parcels.
    https://www.amazon.com/Adonit-Note-Natural-Rejection-Stylus/dp/B07R9HPSYN

fivetoedsloth likes this.
  7. wytn

wytn Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes. i'm not really sure right now how much it would bother me switching from the Pencil to this one to the Pencil again etc. Although i already turn the BT off on my Mini 5 quite often... Maybe there wouldn't be much more extra bother.

it's not available in France but it is apparently in Germany so ordering shouldn't be a problem... For now I have too many other things to take care of, so i'll wait.

8. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

Waiting for direct comparison, not holding breath.....

9. siddhartth

One thing that is considerably different in approach of Microsoft Pen Protocol and Apple Pencil, when it comes to third party accesory makers, Apple has so far refused to get other players in on the pressure sensitivity. Microsoft on the other hand is not holding back.

Which makes sense for Apple from bussiness point of view, but significantly restricts the choices a customer can make. I think, now that Adonit has come up with its a pen, Wacom probably has an iPad stylus of their own in the works, provided, Apple has opened up their pen platform for them.

That's the least Apple can do for consoling Wacom after traumatizing them with the Sidecar.

And the sweetest thing that Apple can do is come up with macOS based Engines for the big Cintiqs (24-32), that will be awesome for Artists who have that kind of dough.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  10. dellaster

I’m curious, why would you be interested in the slightest as an artist? It has neither pressure levels nor tilt. I don’t understand why anyone other than a note taker would look at this twice.

lovelaptops likes this.