Adonit Jot Touch pressure sensitive stylus for iPad

Discussion in 'Apple/iOS' started by latinvixen, Aug 21, 2012.

1. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

Got my hands on a bluetooth adonit jot touch stylus which supports pressure sensitivity. Out of all the styluses I have tested I am very impressed with this one. It is easy to pair, get it working and durable. The charging feature is through usb and a magnet, the video will explain it better. All in all a good stylus and if you want to draw on your ipad a very good option. A bit more money than your typical stylus but this stylus offers a whole lot. It does support pressure but still needs a bit of work. You get your light and dark lines but not a whole lot of in between gradients. I have been checking up on their forums and it seems like they will be releasing more updates as time progresses.

Adonit - Create.

I took a few videos to show how it works.

[video=youtube_share;0zs39FipB0w]http://youtu.be/0zs39FipB0w[/video]

Adonit Jot Touch with Sketch Club - YouTube

Adonit jot touch using art rage on the iPad - YouTube

If you have any questions just ask :D

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks for this update. It's cool to see that the Adonit devices keep on advancing.

Their website is really annoying however; it's very difficult to find technical information. I haven't been able to work out how many levels of pressure sensitivity the Jot Touch offers. (Do you know?)

*****EDIT: It's 256 according to third party review magazines. Though, the videos don't make it look like it works very well. It looks more like two or three levels.

So another question; how's the tip? Can you feel it press in a distance as it registers pressure, or is it like the Wacom tips where the travel is measured in microns?

It will be interesting if/when Adonit gets their stylus working with tablets of any stripe rather than just the iPad. It seems to be simply a software limitation at this point. When they've got it working on x86 tablets, it would allow the user access to high level art software. That could be interesting.

All in all, I like the cleverness behind the solutions used in this pen which make the most of a limited technology, (capacitive touch). While it obviously isn't ever going to have the full application of a Wacom-style digitizer tablet, I still think the little plastic disk idea is pretty neat. This pen seems like the culmination of some really obvious thinking people were talking about years ago. "Just put a pressure sensor in the pen already! Sheesh." It's nice to see a young and enthusiastic company make it happen.

Though, I can't say I like microwave emitters too close to me and I don't know enough about Blue Tooth's power output and frequency range to trust it out of the box.

I'm still trying to work out what effect the Wacom system is having on my nervous system, if any. I do know that Wacom Penabled tech is relatively low power and holds at a specific frequency in the kilohertz range. Wacom uses an analog feedback system which I perhaps naively feel is less treacherous than variable microwave data pulses.

I've seen different systems in demos which use the glass itself to detect levels of pressure at high accuracy. I doubt we're going to ever see those in production, though. You can't have technology out there which doesn't offer the added benefit of befuddling the masses. Population control only works if you use it, after all...

Sigh.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thank you....Thank you so much for putting that fear in my head.

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I live to serve. :)

Also, ignorance is bliss and all that. If it's any consolation, I spent a lot of time and energy looking as deeply into this as I could. Tablet PCs are by design as low-power as possible, including Wacom OEM parts which have no need to send signals across the room like Blue Tooth does. Also, they pulse in two categories; the base signal which comes from the antenna sheet under the screen and its broadcast on/off rate as it switches between send/receive, (the second being a modulated signal which has approximately the same effect on cells). Both frequencies are well above the ELF levels where cells are most commonly observed to be excited.

Not ideal, but I personally consider Wacom's Penabled stuff to be on the low end of EM toxicity. The plug-in clock radio at your bedside is easily a far greater concern, if the transformer is inside the device.

Cheers! ;)

5. latinvixen

latinvixen Artist

I do think the pen is limited by software at the moment. The harder you press the thicker or darker the line gets. It takes some getting used too as the tip is a disk and not a fine tip like it is on wacom. But once you really start to work with it the pen feels natural and does a pretty good job in registering strokes where they should go. I like the pen, probably one of the better ones for Ipad at the moment but not comparable to anything wacom.