Adobe Configurator - Create your own native Photoshop panels

Discussion in 'Artists' started by lblb, Apr 19, 2014.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Hey lblb, ( or anyone else using the configurator menus)

ISSUE. So turns out the menus made with configurator are slowing photoshop response time pretty significantly. When I install a new menu to the correct folder and open photoshop everything behaves normally. UNTIL I open the new custom menu, then from then on during that session there is a split second wait time when: switching between layers, hitting undo. Everything is generally slower to respond and it's frustrating waiting for undo to catch up to my finger. Sometimes up to 2 seconds delay! As soon as I close the menu and restart photoshop things are back to normal. Just closing the menu without restarting doesn't help. If it opens once, photoshop is all laggy.

thoughts? Anyone else getting this? My t902 chews through the largest of complicated documents in photoshop, so this is bizarre and with 16 gigs RAM I hardly think its a memory issue! strange strange strange.

On a happier note, the new radial menu on the new tabletPC feel driver is freakin AMAZING and almost makes it so I don't need the extra menu. A size and opacity slider handy nearby is all I really want and I would be happy as a clam. Perhaps just making a tiny toolbar with those 2 sliders is all I really need.
    lblb, would that be possible with autohotkey PST or is python the better pick for something like that? I gotta click up and into a menu before I can scrubby the size in photoshop natively which is a pain.

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi stoneseeker,

I haven’t really observed any slowing down of Photoshop when using the panels from Configurator but I haven’t used them for any extended time. But that would be a real bummer if it really slows down your t902 (slows down your t902!). Maybe you can visit the Configurator forum to see if that’s a known issue. Maybe someone else can contribute to the discussion here. Note that you've already committed to a case of beer and you can't take any back!

For the opacity and tool resize, I combined some old codes from working on the PS toolbar. See if what’s in the zip file below works for your purpose (I obviously haven’t tried to make it pretty yet or small.) Just extract the content of the zip file anywhere on your computer. Launch Photoshop, then the exe from the zip file.

The opacity stuff:
    - When working normally in Photoshop, if you press Enter the cursor will go directly in the Opacity textbox in the top toolbar. So what the code that I uploaded does when you use the slider is to send Enter, then it just inserts the slider value into the textbox. Should work for CS5 and CS6.
    - If that works, then maybe (maybe not!) something like the included "opacity presets" could be interesting to use. These could allow you to quickly alternate between two values of opacity. (When you change the value using the small arrows, the new value comes into effect (and is saved) when you click Go!)

The tool resize stuff:
    - Something somewhat similar to the stuff above can be done for tool resize... but unfortunately it would necessitate that the “Brush presets” panel be always visible because it’s the only way that I’ve found for AHK to access a tool resize textbox.
    - Another option is the button that I’ve included in the script. If you click the button, then hover right-click over the canvas, you should be able to resize the tool. (At least it works on my EP121). I’m not sure that that is much more practical than the slider that you can access by simply right-clicking on the canvas, but it does give you visual feedback of the tool size that you don’t get with the slider. With a bit of practice, the use of that button could be quite efficient. (When you hit the button, it presses down Alt, then it gives you 1000 ms to press right-click otherwise it releases Alt. If the 1000 ms delay is too short/long, you can change it in the file Settings.ini)

Thoughts?

Photoshop Opacity Tool Size 1

Last edited: May 1, 2014
    stoneseeker likes this.
  3. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

EPIC accidental tip! I never thought to right click canvas and scrub size from there. That is plenty efficient enough for me, I just gotta make that into habit. This tip, combined with modlock for modifiers, extremely useful new radial menu and I am golden without need of the configurator menus.

I tried your toolbar and the opacity slider works flawlessly, though like you said quite large. If I was to keep using a slider like that, I would want a button that when I click it with my pen, I would leave it on the screen and scrub side to side until I lifted my pen which would commit the value to opacity (or size) exactly like Sketchbook Pro. So your opacity slider is great (though just a button that initiates a non-visual slider would suffice) but the size slider I find more cumbersome and awkward to use than right click>scrub option you just opened my eyes to.

I'll go hunting to see if I can find out if photoshop slow down is the norm with those toolbars, but it's really annoying to have to watch actions happen seconds after I do them. Sort of destroys the purpose of owning a powerful beast like this in the first place. If you don't mind trying to draw a bunch of strokes with a normal brush on a small or medium canvas 1600 x 900 is fine. Hit undo 10 times rapidly in a row to undo all the strokes and notice how fast it responds to you. Then try it after opening your custom menu. Is it obviously laggy responding to rapid undo now? If not, maybe there is something wrong with my configurator.
    Also, when I load the menu up from extensions menu it takes a second to load and is a blank grey slate for a second or two and sort of flickers before looking normal. Does yours do that too?

4. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Epic!

Sorry I don't have my tablet around so I can't test the Configurator stuff. Later. But since you may not need it after all... But Configurator panels do flicker/go white as they load when you launch Photoshop and that seems to be very normal according to what I read about it.

Well if you want small, and if you want a slider button, you need to ask! Steve B and I developed slider buttons a while ago. For what it's worth, I've uploaded in the zip file below what I think does what you want for the opacity slider. The button to the left is to move it (the new position is saved automatically) while the button on the right can be used as a slider to adjust the opacity (I made it an up-down slider as I feel this vertical motion is more natural). Does it work for you?
    I say "for what it's worth" because, as you mention, the opacity scrubby slider is already very practical and it's mainly the tool resize that would benefit from a more direct scrubby slider.

Photoshop Opacity 2

5. danraz

danraz Pen Pal - Newbie

hi guys,
    can you help the PS users of the world by getting us BRUSH folders as shown in the image.
    we are begging actually.
    SOS.

Dan
    P.S. I want to post this in programmer's forums too, lets see if we get some decent smart guy to code up something like this.

Attached Files: