Adobe Configurator - Create your own native Photoshop panels

Discussion in 'Artists' started by lblb, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Could I assign SHIFT to one of these panels? And if so, how would that work? I often need to hold shift when selecting multiple layers to merge and what not, could I make a shift key that stays pressed until I have clicked twice? Or until I have clicked it again?
    I recently switched to the new Wacom feel driver which has the uber handy radial menu, but the proble now posed is I need right click on one pen button, radial menu on the other, so now I have no pen button for shift. And for some reason I can't assign shift to the T902 hardware buttons, only alt and ctrl work as modifiers, it ignores shift if I try to enter it in the field.
    Any possible workaround suggestions??

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi stoneseeker,

I can see a few options:

1) If you want to use your t902 button: Can you send simple hotkeys with these hardware buttons? If yes, it would take about 30 seconds to write a AutoHotkey script that would toggle Shift on/off when that hotkey is sent. Could also work with the radial menu if it can send hotkeys.

2) You could try to use Configurator to add a button to toggle Shift but I don't know how to do it directly (ant their help forum isn't very busy). Maybe the easiest would be to use the same strategy as in 1), which I know how to do with Configurator. Also, this button would only be useable in Photoshop.

3) If you prefer an on-screen button, I can whip one out in 5 minutes with AutoHotkey.

4) Modlock?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  3. stoneseeker

Thanks lblb, I actually ended up combining ctrl+shift to the hardare button and it works since ctrl doesn't interfere with shift. Shift wouldn't take on its own.

My next question is.... I went and made a panel, its pretty fun! Now I can't get it to open in photoshop though. I don't know how. When I go to export, I don't where to export to, and when I export to a folder of my choosing there is nothing but a couple folders and a gpc file. So I looked up where to put the stuff and tried sticking it in C:>program files>Adobe>Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 bit)>plug-ins>panels both folders and the .gpc file. Restarted photoshop and can't find it under windows>extensions> where I am supposed to find it???

Weird they make exporting so hard. When I try to export as an extension script for adobe extension manager to install it (the other export option) I get a panel with required fields I have no clue what to enter in them... java installation, certificate?? soooo confused right now.

4. lblb

The .gpc file is what you obtain (plus a folder) when you save it (so that you can re-edit it later) but that's not what it exports. What it exports is something else (it's a folder containing a few files). So make sure to select the correct destination folder when you export it, then relaunch PS.

If that doesn't work: when you put the folder from the zip file that I uploaded in the folder you mention, do you find my panel when you relaunch PS?

5. stoneseeker

Hey lblb. For some reason my configurator exports the folders strangely? So I downloaded yours and copied the way the folder was organized with mine and now it works... super strange. Probably because I didn't export to the right folder and just tried copying what it gave me. It's strange it doesn't default to the correct folder though. It just defaults to export to my documents folder instead.

anyway, now that its working, a lot of my buttons now say null where the button didnt have room to fit the word. Is there any easy way to put my own icons in or perhaps type my own small text in the buttons at least?

This thing is pretty amzing, gonna be using this from now for sure!

my toolbar.JPG

6. lblb

I've found that when null shows up, you need to resize the buttons in Configurator. When in Configurator, you can select a button on your panel and the right pane of Configurator will change to show the stuff about that button. Once a button is selected, you can change its characteristics in the right pane. Also, you can drag the edges of a selected button to change its size.

If it's a button that you dragged from the Tools menu, you can only change the tooltip, size and position. If it's a button that you dragged from the other menus (like all the text buttons that you've added) then you can change more things and select up to three different images (for when up/down/hover).

If you go on the Configurator download site, there is a downloadable pdf guide that is actually quite helpful and simple.

7. stoneseeker

wow thanks. K I think I got this now. Yeah I was reading through the pdf, but still it didn't have information about why my export wasn't working. It's still wierd to me that I have to manually do everything in order to properly export, the guide assumes that the configurator just plops it all proper like into the appropriate folder and then moves on. Mine doesn't so it's good you had that example toolbar to follow.

8. lblb

Hi stonesseker,

Cool.

Mine exports just as it should. Have you tried to re-export a new panel (and selecting the correct destination folder)? If it still doesn't work, maybe you could uninstall/re-install Configurator?

I think this thing is pretty cool. I could see this being quite useful on a multi-monitor setup or on a kickass setup like thatcomicsguy's where you could use this to build rather complex panels (kind of like the rather large one I posted) that you would keep on a secondary monitor. Coupled with other panels and freely-available scripts out there (there are nice ones for creating grids, for perspective tools, for doing layer stuff, for color-wheel, etc) this could be pretty powerful.

But on to the real priority:
    So I guess this means that you now owe me three beers, right? (this, script to hide panels, scrubby sliders)

9. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

Man, how the hell did I forget about this?!
    I should've brought this up months ago!

Chees, lblb for bringing it to light for the masses. :)
    See if I can find my menus when I was playing around with it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  10. stoneseeker

A whole case of beer is more accurate.

If your ever in East Coast Canada I'd gladly supply the micro-brewed goodness! Thatcomicsguy I'm sure owes you a beer or two as well!

T-ravisty likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.