Adobe Configurator - Create your own native Photoshop panels

Discussion in 'Artists' started by lblb, Apr 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi all,

Well... I'm surprised I've never heard of this before... and I don't remember it being discussed around here. Maybe it has and I just missed it.

Adobe has apparently had for some time a free tool called Adobe Configurator (available for both Mac and PC) that allows you to very easily create your own customized Photoshop panels. I've tried version 4 (which on the main page says it works for Photoshop CS5 and CS6, but only gave me the CS6 and CC options in the actual program) and it worked great. I think this can probably do things that the AutoHotkey-based toolbars that have been developed in other threads can't do that easily.

And yes, you can add an undo button.

Anyways, here is the download link:
    Download Adobe Configurator 4 - Adobe Labs
    (CC users may also be interested in: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/extensionbuilder3/)

And a video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkNUsG9L0G0

Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Damn. It needs Adobe "Air". I don't think I bothered installing that bloat.

3. lblb

"Damn" may just be the right word here. 'Cause this thing is pretty amazing. It pretty much does everything that users of the Photoshop toolbars have asked for and more.

The panels that you create act just like normal panels. So you can, for example, collapse them to an icon or tab/untab them with other panels. You can add a button for any command in the menus (and other stuff!) and for those buttons that don't have an image, you can set a png of your choice for unpressed/pressed/hovered. It looks like you can program the buttons, and also attach scripts. You can change the size of every button, place them anywhere, and it looks like you can create sections and dock other panels.

If I had any use for Photoshop on a tablet (but I don't!), this could quickly become my new best friend!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

thanks lblb, one thing it may be missing is the ability to program complicated macros and steps into a button? Like could we make a button for an action made in photoshop? If so, damn is right. However, I would still find an opacity and brush size resize slider (like in Sketchbook Pro) the single most functional and useful addition to a panel in Photoshop, and since RomZ is so close with his Python bar, I am tempted to say it's still got an edge. If there is a way to add those functions to this Adobe config, then nevermind, we should just quit now.
    I think I didn't bother to install AIR either...

5. lblb

Hi stoneseeker,

Well, I'll let others explore this thing as I never use Photoshop. Maybe it can be useful, maybe not. And romz' work is truly admirable and I hope it turns into a popular resource for tablet users. As for your questions:

- You can add buttons that will run anything you script in Photoshop (for which I think you can use various languages, and even record routines) which I gather can be pretty complex commands.
    - I didn't see an option to add an opacity slider. In my tests when working on the other toolbars in the other thread, I've never needed an opacity slider as I found the "Scrubby slider" (see at the bottom here: Change Opacity Of Your Active Layer With The Push Of A Button) to be able to do what I needed. Is it something like that that you have in mind?
    - For pen resize: Maybe the best option would be to create a panel, then dock the existing Brush Presets panel (that has a pen size slider) to it. Alternatively it may be doable in Python or AutoHotkey. For example, the following AHK code works on my EP121: hit the button (it pushes down alt) and right-click hover to change tool size. Does it work for you? You'll need to have AutoHotkey installed and to create a new .ahk file containing the text below. (Note: in the code below, you need to add a path to a picture of any type jpg/png/bmp.)

Edit:
    I think Adobe AIR is available for free here:
    http://get.adobe.com/air/

Code:
    #SingleInstance, force
    #NoEnv
    #Persistent
    #KeyHistory 0
    SetBatchLines -1

Gui, +AlwaysOnTop +E0x08000000
    Gui, Add, Picture, x10 y10 w100 h20 gResize, Path_To_picture.jpg
    Gui, Show
    Return

Resize:
    Send {alt down}
    Sleep 1500
    KeyWait, Rbutton, U
    Send {alt up}
    Return

GuiClose:
    Exitapp

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  6. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

wow, lblb! How did I not know of the scrubby slider feature!?!? It works amazing, simply hit the name and drag! For pen size I have to click once on the drop down and then drag on the "size" but it also works. If I could make a pen size button on the adobe config tab I would be set. I think this is becoming the best most useable option, I can't believe I've never even heard of this stuff. All I ever hear about from Adobe are new crazy photography features (like content aware fill..) but never the really handy and useful nitty gritty like this. THanks so much!!

7. lblb

Cool. Yeah, when working on the Photoshop toolbars I ended up reading a lot about shortcuts and stuff. If I were really into Photoshop, I think the next thing I would do would be to learn to write Photoshop scripts as they can be pretty powerful. Apart from drawing-related scripts, it can also do things when an event occurs (at least in CS6). For example, if you always use the panel-hiding script from the other thread or the Photoshop toolbar or romz34's app, then you could quite easily set them to run whenever you launch Photoshop.

For the tool resize slider, if you want to have more direct access you could show the “Brush Presets” panel. There's also the right-click menu, but I'm not sure that's faster.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  8. lblb

Maybe some of you will be interested in a demonstration of the possibilities with this thing because it’s pretty cool!
    From what I’ve tested, you don’t actually need to have Configurator installed to use panels that have been created with it. It seems like the necessary folder for the panels is present by default when CS6 is installed:
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Panels

Here is a sample panel that I created for Photoshop CS6 64 bit in about 30 minutes (below are pictures of what it looks like). I was fed up of clicking and holding all the time to change tools so I created a panel that includes all the tools from the main Photoshop panel. Also included buttons for Deselect, Save, Step Backward and Step Forward. The Step Backward code comes from here (PS CS5: The Undo/Layer Dance - Polycount Forum) and makes it certain to return to the current layer (which is not always the case with the normal Step Backward). Also, I’ve included a second tab for all the Transform functions.

You can download a zip file here:
    All tools panel 1

To install, just extract the folder into the following folder (I didn’t have to create this folder even if I didn’t install Configurator):
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Panels
    Then, launch CS6, and select the "All tools" panel in Window -> Extensions

Does it work for others?

Attached Files:

T-ravisty likes this.
  9. xxxxx

xxxxx Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey lblb,thanks for sharing your panel ! it seems to works great here (I didn't try all the tools, but it loads, and most of the functions work... ps cs6 win 7 x64).

you might also want to check out these great custom panels : http://www.zspline.net/blog/my-photoshop-panels/

however, I need to point out the greatest feature of ahk-based toolbars :
    the genius behind the original rawinputcontroltest.ahk by 39kasen is that it enabled touch input and stylus input simultaneously.

this ahk snippet is the only script that enabled us to touch the screen with a finger while clicking elsewhere with the stylus (modifier key+click is incredibly useful in a lot of programs).

that being said, I guess it could be great if one could tweak the ahk script to assign its touch-sensitive area to match the location of the adobe configurator panel : instead of using the ahk rawinputcontrol script to send out keystrokes/macros, use it to send out actual screen coordinates + click action to the system.
    given your experience with the toolbar scripting, do you think that could work ?

phil
    (sorry for typos, I'm writing this with a vivotab note 8)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  10. lblb

Hi xxxx,

Thanks for the link to the other panels.I understand what you say about the rawinputcontroltest script being so much better. If only it could be used on any tablet.

That being said, I'm never going to use the Photoshop panels created with Configurator (except for the one here that I use when working on the Photoshop toolbars from the other thread) as I'm not an artist. In sharing this panel here, I was just trying to show some of the possibilities.Call it my hopes of a good karma. Posting the panel above was really just my attempt to revive this thread that some potentailly interested forum users may have missed, but I don't intend to post other panels. Many times in the past, forum members have asked for a configurable Photoshop toolbar and I think using Configurator is a pretty terrific approach (albeit one that is only applicable to Photoshop). Hopefully this can mean that anyone who doesn't have any programming knowledge can also customize their own toolbars (and I'm sure romz34's SUIT program will eventually turn out even better!) That in itself is pretty cool. Also, many have complained here about the small Photoshop buttons on ultra HD tablets and these customized panels are certainly one way to make the buttons as large as anyone would want.

I really like that these customized panels behave like normal Photoshop panels, so that they can be tabbed and docked to other panels, and also minimized to an icon, but since I'm much more comfortable with AutoHotkey, I'm going to stick with that.

I'm not sure what advantage you would see about using the rawinput scripts to click somehwre in Photoshop. Are there any functions that are not currently accessible with the rawinput scripts that would now be accessible? There are a few ways that this could potentially be approached depending on waht you have in mind.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    stoneseeker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.