Adding Internal Storage When SSD maxes out

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by lovelaptops, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runningcode

runningcode Pen Pal - Newbie

sdxc is the format you are referring to. i believe a firmware update was already issued to support this format

market is not that large for them so it will be hard to find a good price. for whoever asked if you can boot from them, just press escape on boot and see if expresscard is there

i bought a 16GB drive for $20 almost a year ago...is this some sort of insanely fast drive? also though the drive may be faster than a hdd, USB really limits it
    to the person who suggested a USB 3.0 drive, the elitebook doesn't support it

the dvd drive is not a standardized form factor so no.

2. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

yeah... I think I already answered that question about adding a 2.5" SSD

HP did not leave any room for the imaginative. Having disassembled several of these machines, I for one can vouch that there is NO fesible way of accomplishing this.

3. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

Its an SSD drive. Made out of cells that have a much better wear level than your typical el cheapo usb flash stick. Say if you were to take 16gb usb flash memory and run write tests on it im sure it would fail in a week, vs the 2-5years of an SSD.

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Response: Yeah, that's pretty much what it has to come down to, but again, kinda defeats the convenience of a tablet/ultraportable if you have to dongle even a small USB drive to it, just not as "portable/grabbable" (SD card is sounding better and better...or... I could:

NOT reorder another 2740 and go with something with at least one 2.5" FDD bay, better yet, 2 of them = Fujitsu tablet (T730/900) ;) (And just by luck, I happened to have placed a bid on an open-box T730 from the eBay Fujitsu store at a ridiculously low price ($761 for a Core i5, multi-touch, Bright wide-view Outdoor screen T730 - sells new for $1,800) and...I WON!!

So begins the next chapter of my "life with tablets" :rolleyes:

5. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I've installed an expresscard /34 SSD 32GB (verbatim) off amazon for 97lbs (non UK keyboard). UNFORTUNATELY, the drive STICKS out about an inch or so which is SOOOO annoying as I bought it to prevent me from dragging my usb drive and dropping it.

I hope I don't break this SSD. Using it as a back up. Thought this would be useful fo anyone tempted to buy one. It's a little slower than the USB 2.0. I was going to get the wintec filemate but I've read lots of bad reviews about it overheating...the verbatim gets hot pretty quick and being near the fan isn't the greatest either. Wish they had mentioned that in bold or something. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.