Adding Dell Venue 8 Pro drivers to install.wim

Discussion in 'Dell' started by quarky, Nov 26, 2013.

1. quarky

quarky Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I have a Windows 8.1 Enterprise image (32-bit) and would like to install the Dell drivers into it, so I can use the image on the Dell Venue 8 Pro when it arrives. Has anyone had any luck this? I am trying on a Windows 8 desktop and the 5830-win8.1-A00-9Y5Y5.CAB file.

I did the following:

1. Open Powershell with Administrator rights.
    2. Made a folder called c:\image
    3. Made a folder called c:\dv8pdrivers and copied the contents of the CAB to that location
    4. Ran "mount-windowsimage -path c:\image -imagepath e:\sources\install.wim -index 1"
    5. Ran "add-windowsdriver -path c:\image -driver .\dv8pdrivers"

At that point it falls over with errors like the following:

add-windowsdriver : DismOpenSession failed. Error code = 0xc0000135

At line:1 char:1
    + add-windowsdriver -path c:\images -driver c:\dv8pdrivers -logpath c:\log\drivers ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: :)) [Add-WindowsDriver], COMException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.AddWindowsDriverCommand

I have also tried a few other switches like:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> add-windowsdriver -path c:\images -driver c:\dv8pdrivers -scratchdirectory c:\temp -logpath c:\log\drivers.log

No luck though.

2. quarky

quarky Pen Pal - Newbie

Resolved I think. I don't have my tablet yet so can't test, but at least it updates the drivers.

You need a Windows 8.1 machine to modify the image (not 8.0), and instead of the CAB file, I used the extracted contents of the .EXE files:

5830_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Driver_830DW_WN_2.1_A00.EXE
    5830_Drivers-for-OS-Deployment_Driver_76XFC_WN_2.1_A00.EXE
    5830_Network_Driver_4F5N3_WN_3.7.2.45_A01.EXE

Of course, I will need to wait until I actually get the tablet to test, but at least the Windows image appears to incorporate the drivers correctly.

3. cruzer

cruzer Pen Pal - Newbie

wait a sec... so I can easily install 8.1 enterprise on my venue 8 pro? thought there was driver issues with enterprise on it.. I have no issue waiting to see if your slipstream works... means I can actually run remote admin tools now..

4. quarky

quarky Pen Pal - Newbie

Well that is the plan. I want to join it to my domain at home and run Direct Access, as well as manage it via SCCM. Now if only I could PXE boot it.... :)

5. cruzer

cruzer Pen Pal - Newbie

Well I just went ahead and installed enterprise over it. working fine, able to join domain and run remote admin tools.. (very nice) Now I want to redo it all from scratch but having issue with booting with usb stick asking for power..

6. maexchen

maexchen Pen Pal - Newbie

7. cruzer

cruzer Pen Pal - Newbie

8. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Pen Pal - Newbie

I put Enterprise on mine no problems, I just did an in-place upgrade by mounting the ISO locally. It would only allow me to keep my data, but not my programs.

9. cruzer

cruzer Pen Pal - Newbie

Nice... I went ahead and re-did mine from scractch .. I wanted to reclaim all the recovery space..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

10. StirCwazy

StirCwazy Pen Pal - Newbie

So it is possible to do a clean install of Windows on the Venue? How did you go about it exactly?

11. cruzer

cruzer Pen Pal - Newbie

yes create a bootable usb with windows 8.1 on it.. also have another usb stick with all of the DV8P drivers on it or slipstream it in like quarky is trying to do.. then set in the bios to boot off of the bootable windows 8.1 disk you just created.. then install the dell drivers and your set..

12. StirCwazy

And you had no issues with touchscreen working, or any other devices not having the proper drivers? Everything just worked?

13. StirCwazy

Hey cruzer,

I put Windows 8.1 Enterprise x86 on a USB key, booted from it and setup started. Unfortunately there was an error saying that critical drivers could not be loaded, and the touchscreen was unresponsive.

I was attempting to add drivers via an autounattend.xml file with the path to the drivers. That's what was causing the error. After removing the xml and the drivers folder from the USB it boots to the key, starts the wizard but I have no touchscreen, no way to complete the install.

Were you using a usb hub with keyboard/mouse/usb key to complete the install?

Which drivers did you download? (Ones posted by the OP, the cab file from Dell or individual drivers)

Did you remove every partition on the drive? Including the DIAGS partition?

Lastly, and sorry about all the questions.. final result, all hardware identified and drivers loaded, touchscreen works?

Thanks for the responses thus far, appreciate the help as I too would love to have remote admin tools for work purposes, but without all the extra crap.

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  14. cruzer

cruzer Pen Pal - Newbie

Oops forgot to add you need wired keyboard and mouse first.. Then after you install the drivers then you won't need then anymore

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

15. StirCwazy

No worries, I just said screw it and took the plunge and went for it. Everything loaded up fine with the modified WIM I created with DISM (cept the wireless card).

20GB free space, got to love it!

16. Logan801

Logan801 Pen Pal - Newbie

StirCwazy ,
    can you get me a step by step for getting this to work? I have 8E on USB but can't get it to work. thanks in advance.

17. StirCwazy