Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

1. ryudo

ryudo Pen Pal - Newbie

so when is somebody going to make a Service for this.... somewhat willing to send DV8 and flashdrive in by ups

2. Ianas

Ianas Pen Pal - Newbie

Ha ha... I'm somewhat hesitant to do the shipping thing... If someone is local to Salt Lake City, Utah, I'd be happy to help them. Heck, the trickiest part was getting the case off the USB drive without breaking it and I bet several are too big- the area I put mine in is just barely wider than the USB connector itself. I'm being tempted to buy another drive to try as my problems are just drive specific (it was a good deal, what can I say).

3. fanzjeff

fanzjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

Done, mine is working now.
    Thanks V3D and Ianas
    I have tested an old 2Gb usb flash drive. The write speed are 3.577M/1.655M/0.024M/0.028M. So I think I will need an USB3.0 flash drive.

4. badworker

badworker Pen Pal - Newbie

Are these 2 usb-back-ports powered on even if the tablet is completely shutted down (no hibernate-standby, just powerd off) ?

5. Woody

Woody Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks V3D for finding and sharing the extra usb ports.

I have joined the modding club and installed a cheap 32gb usb thumbdrive i had around to my little dell today and everything is working perfectly, speeds are the same as using the same drive with the otg port (37/17MB/s)
    The drive i used was a kingmax branded drive and its PCB is 15mm wide and its the widest you can get away with fitting in there.
    I will be upgrading it when i can find a nice drive on offer but im in no rush so the wiring at the usb drive end is only temporary.

I used 30 gauge Kynar/wrapping wire, flux, 0.7mm 60/40 solder with a small pointy weller tip and 12w iron and secured it all with some hot snot for now.

and i took a few pics to share.(click pics for larger image hosted on photobucket)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. kekinash

kekinash Pen Pal - Newbie

To Woody: Great and professional looking work :). I was thinking why not to do a full USB port, so you can use the included micro for charging and the full USB added port for connect external devices. I sold my Venue, and moved to a Surface Pro, so I can't do it myself, but I think could be a good idea to have a full USB port like the Surface Pro, it's very useful.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  7. V3D

V3D Scribbler - Standard Member

The tablet is to thin for a full USB port because of the rounded back around the edges. :p

8. ayle

ayle Pen Pal - Newbie

Are those m.2 tabs active? If they are, one could harvest the m2 connector from one of those m2>sata adapter on eBay, mount it and install a proper ssd in the thing.

9. V3D

V3D Scribbler - Standard Member

First post,
    Also even if the m.2 tabs where active a SATA drive would not work on it. :p

10. LDawg

LDawg Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey V3D, where did you get the AC/power adapter for the USB hub? I have the same one and would like to power the hub. Thanks in advance!