Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Ianas

Ianas Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, thanks to you guys, I now also have a 128 GB flash drive embedded in my Venue 8 Pro. One issue that I've encountered is that random writes are terrifically SLOW. Unfortunately, I only performed speed tests on the flash drive with sequential writes before I got under the hood and did the deed. *facepalm*
    It could be that something is wrong with my setup but if there isn't then I doubt there is really anything that can be done to improve it. I have tried enabling write caching to help mask the problem but I can't enable it for the device, and it is preventing programs from being run from the drive (e.g. Steam is glacially slow for a few minutes then simply crashes).
    Any suggestions for flash drives fast enough to store and run programs from? I'd be willing to take a 64 GB drive and leave the 128 in along side it (assuming there's enough room, which there could be- this 128 was pretty small).

2. V3D

V3D Scribbler - Standard Member

Some flash drives are detected as removable disks while others are detected as local disk, There are even ways to flip removable bit on some devices to change how they are detected.
    From what I have been reading any new flash drive that is Windows 8 certified needs to be detected as a local disk but a lot of people don't like that so most are still detected as removable or going back to removable.
    Extreme 32GB not recognized as removable storage - SanDisk Forums
    Your SanDisk USB stick is no longer removable – and it’s Microsofts fault! | Aussie Storage Blog

As for your random writes... how slow is "terrifically SLOW" some flash drives & SD cards are crazy slow on random read / writes while some are very decent but cost normally a lot more.

Here is what I am getting with the Microcenter brand USB 3.0 drive connected to the one internal USB 2.0 connection compared to my MicroSD & the built-in eMMC.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. Ianas

Ianas Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the late reply, V3D. Thanks for your posts here and for finding the USB ports inside the unit.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, it is pretty slow. The USB flash drive is on the left and my 64GB UHS-1 MicroSD is on the right. Changing the test size to 100MB results in .012 as the result instead of .002.
    Steam runs fine from the MicroSD. Games load slowly, but that's entirely expected. I've just never seen such lopsided performance in a device. I expected it to be comparable to the MicroSD - nothing to write home about but hey, it was cheap.

4. Xentar712

Xentar712 Pen Pal - Newbie

Any luck with the wireless charging? Thinking of trying this myself. Might do the thumb drive too but I don't have the need yet. Cool stuff you got going on here. :)

5. V3D

Working on it. :D

6. fanzjeff

fanzjeff Pen Pal - Newbie

Great work V3D!
    I have a quick question, I tried it, welding 5V from your new finding (no need OTG), welding D+ D- by following your initial finding (close to the battery). But mine is not working...
    I will try to use the other pair of D+ D- (on the right of the 5V pin),
    There are four pins all together, I saw your most recent attached picture, seems like you are using the upper two (out of four pins), is that right? Could you please tell me, thanks.

7. Ianas

Ianas Pen Pal - Newbie

I used the upper pair. The original image was hard to interpret, but that's what I thought I saw and it works.

fanzjeff likes this.
  8. fanzjeff

Thanks Ianas, hopefully this pair works with mine

9. V3D

Your grounding the USB device to the tablet right? The ground pin needs to be grounded to the tablet.
    Make sure you don't have the D+ & D- mixed up. It does not hurt anything but the USB device will not work if they are switched.

Yes it is the upper 2 pins. I just noticed my image of the board was wrong, I had the bottom 2 listed.
    I just updated the image.

Also be careful with the 5v tab, if you get the 5v & ground mixed up at any point there is a high chance you will damage something.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  10. fanzjeff

Yes V3D, I grounded it to the black screw by following your design :D

the sequence is "Vcc D- D+ GND", and I tried backwards, I couldn't unlock the screen, LOL

I will try it again today. God bless me.

Truly thanks V3D.