Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

1. V3D

V3D Scribbler - Standard Member

Just something random I noticed, fishy8082's battery sticker is different from the one on my tablet...
    The sticker says "3.75V 4.86Ah" on fishy8082's while mine says "3.7v min.4.96Ah".

Wouldn't that make mine 18.352Wh & fishy8082's 18.225Wh?

Also the wires look different.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  2. horn

horn Pen Pal - Newbie

What is con5401 for? RAM?
    I see a website they sell DV8P motherboard for $129.95. We can collect some bucks from forum members' donation to get the motherboard for hacking.

3. V3D

I ended up moving the flash drive to the 2nd internal USB port because even though I was able to connect to the trace where the tab was ripped off by the m.2 slot I still didn't trust it long term.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  4. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

5. V3D

CON5401 is the M.2 slot that is used for the WWAN card on the 3G/LTE versions.

6. V3D

Used the screw hole for the m.2 slot to connect the ground wire & the flash drive fits absolutely perfect in that little space next to the camera & battery.
    I can even shake the tablet around in the air without the cover on & the flash drive stays in place.

[​IMG]

The cover will need modified though to put it back on with the flash drive there because there are plastic pillars on the cover to fill that empty space to keep the it from flexing.

After removing the extra plastic the cover should rest right on the USB plug of the flash drive really keeping it from ever moving & the cover from flexing.

Woody likes this.
  7. meandu229

meandu229 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wish I had your confidence/skills with HW, but Im solely a SW guy cant solder to save my life.

8. maexchen

maexchen Pen Pal - Newbie

since soldering on the board will void the warranty anyway I'm still considering adding an additional USB port. I do have a "normal" size (which might just be a little bit too big) and a micro-USB. now the one-million dollar question: where is the best place for it? top or bottom?

9. blingers

blingers Pen Pal - Newbie

10. V3D

I have been thinking about wireless charging from about the time I first seen this tablet & have a few ideas for how to implement it.
    One of the simplest ways is just connect into the charging port and use a magnetic switch and resistor on the data pins of the charging port.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    RazzNuts likes this.