Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

1. fust72

fust72 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello!

Amazing thread here, I have read all 35 pages! That said, please forgive me, I am a n00b at tablet modding/repair, although I have built numerous overclocked PCs since the 90s, and know which end of a soldering iron to use.

I am having a similar issue to nader294. I have a Venue where the previous user tried to "fix" a broken USB micro-AB charge/data port, but hosed the repair by ripping off the D- pad.

Would it be possible to use this mod to connect the D- pad (or a combination of pads) from one of the two other USB connections on the board directly to the D- connection on the stock USB charge/data port, and therefore still be able to XFR data and charge normally as if the D- pad on the charge/data port had not been damaged? It would make sort of a hybrid USB that uses the power connections from one USB, and the data from another.

Thanks folks!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  2. emmet

emmet Pen Pal - Newbie

You can have me fix it :) I'm MYdeviceRepair on eBay. Or you can check out my home made cheat sheet for pin locations. Note the Ident, data+, data- in black and white is where they end up if wrapped over from the port on the other side.
    As for the question i do not think that will work as to charge it needs the data lines. The tab talks to the charger and even if you have no connection at the charger The tab still checks the data lines buy checking cross talk from D- to D+. Best option is to add a micro usb port and pick up a micro to full size usb adapter. You can get a micro usb port with big solder pads :)
    I have some photos of the repair but just not where i can find them now.
    hope that helps people
    IMAG0298.jpg IMAG0299.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    micromir and Mikerman like this.
  3. micromir

micromir Pen Pal - Newbie

Emmet, thanks for your fotos ))

emmet likes this.
  4. fust72

fust72 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey folks,

Wow, thank you so much for the photos!

From them, I am able to ID that the pad that's pulled is the ident pad. I also note that right where it's pulled off is what looks like (maybe) a through point on the board, but I can't tell from mine if it actually is, nor if the pad was originally attached to that point or not (but it looks like it was). I attached a pic showing what I mean.

board damage.jpg

Can I clean/expose this possible through point and use it to repair the ident pad, or am I better off running a wire to another point? Seems like it would be easier to just use the closer spot, but I have no real way to test the point to confirm it's a valid ident point on the board.

Also, on further inspection, I discovered another damaged component on this board! I guess the guy who tried to "fix" the board before me was limited in tool selection to pliers, a hammer, and a nail he got hot by holding it on the electric stove coils...

OK but for real, I have no idea what the component is... Maybe you guys can ID it for me? I generally have a good eye for components, but these escape me and there isn't enough information on the undamaged component itself to allow for identification. I attached another pic that shows the part(s) in question.

board damage 2.jpg

Are these some type of SMD resistor or something? At any rate, it looks pretty easy to replace if I can get a new one.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  5. emmet

emmet Pen Pal - Newbie

The otg identifier pin location is in the first pic. It is far away from the port but i say use that point. I have had the ident trace inside the motherboard stop working and the shown point worked to get otg back. If you do not need otg you can just not use it.
    for the component i think it is a antenna? Yes i just confirmed that is a wifi antenna. If you like i can send you the one from my junk board i kept for testing and so on. cost shipping or if you have a junk tab laying about you can do the mod shown in photos. make sure you remove the other components as there are used for the SMT antenna.

6. emmet

emmet Pen Pal - Newbie

That is the chip i can mail you and the mod if you have some skill and a old tab to hack up, You could also use a wifi antenna from a laptop just cut and solder the cord. Make sure you solder the ground as feedback will kill a transmitter ATTACH=full]9210[/ATTACH] 20160220_011512.jpg 20160220_013652.jpg 20160220_013722.jpg 20160220_013727.jpg

Attached Files:

7. fust72

fust72 Pen Pal - Newbie

Super awesome reply, thanks so much for the offer to send me the antenna! I PM'd you, so check your inbox.

8. vithrell

vithrell Pen Pal - Newbie

Before everybody forget about this device, would it be possible to add full USB port at the right end (further from speaker) of this empty space by cutting hole in back cover so it could maybe even house some very small USB sticks or 2.4 GHz receiver tht barely stick out from port? Could you connect this port to OTG data lines of microUSB charging port so other two USB connections on board be available for flash drives?

9. nyar

nyar Pen Pal - Newbie

This is very impressive modification you've in your DV8pro, does this still work flawlessly up to now? if so may i know how to do it..

10. daemonix00

daemonix00 Pen Pal - Newbie

any idea if its possible to boot it without the battery connected? any hacks?
    More internal space.