Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Joshua A Gray

Joshua A Gray Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry. This is too deep of a modification for me to be willing to risk damage on someone's tablet. I already damaged one and was lucky to pickup another motherboard for cheap.

Anyway. I did the upgrade to 10. It's been running fine but just noticed my drive isn't working. Neither can I connect another usb drive. It works with my trackball and keyboard. But no usb drives. I tested the voltage throughout the board... 3.75v tablet us a lil dead but it's been dead a lot and still worked. Maybe a Windows 10 driver issue

2. Joshua A Gray

Joshua A Gray Pen Pal - Newbie

If you haven't found anyone, there is a member on here that posted ahead of me a few pages named SkOrPn... He is my brother and works with stuff like this a lot. Assuming what I see on your pics of the traces still being visible, as long as the traces aren't totaled, it can be done.

3. bigbop

bigbop Pen Pal - Newbie

The data line solder pads have been ripped of the board where you see those two extremely small copper dots (vias). There should be 4 pads there and the two middle ones are gone.
    That said, the teo resistors on either side of the connector might be connected inline with each of theose pads, so you will need to do a cintinuity check. If they are connected, you can solder a jumper wie from the pin of the new connector to the resistor associated with that data line.
    Looks like the ground pad is ripped off as well (to the right in the photo) so it needs to be attached to the gnd pin of the new connector.
    You'll need a microscope, 32guage solid wire and .5mm solder tip to do that.
    Good luck

4. bigbop

bigbop Pen Pal - Newbie

You didn't supply any photos of your connection mods si I don't know where you connected the motherboard data lines to your USB stick.
    Hopefully, you used the pads nearest the on/off switch as the other pads by the M2 connector (CON5401) are most likely used with the LTE card. Also, the data line polarity must be correct for the USB stick to be sensed.

5. Hải Trương

Hải Trương Pen Pal - Newbie

6. Phidol S.

Phidol S. Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi. I just would like an advise from any of you guys whom have tried this mod. Which flash drive is better to use USB 2.0 or USB 3.0? Will there be any difference in speed if I use USB 3.0 flash drive, considering that the unit only accommodates USB 2.0. In your opinion, which drive is better "PNY Attaché 128GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive - P-FD128ATT03-GE" or "PNY Turbo 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - P-FD128TBOP-GE"? TIA guys :)

7. emmet

emmet Pen Pal - Newbie

I just did this to solve a problem where a tab would only charge due to a bad controller, added a port. full size but took a bit of hacking and trimming to get the cover back on SEE PICs Now you get the use of a hub and can install from usb in case of a problem :) *NOTE the green wire is a jumper over to the charge controller. that was the only way to get it to charge
    IMAG0118.jpg IMAG0119.jpg IMAG0120.jpg IMAG0121.jpg IMAG0124.jpg IMAG0126.jpg IMAG0127.jpg IMAG0129.jpg IMAG0131.jpg

nader294, wxwxw and Phidol S. like this.
  8. Phidol S.

Phidol S. Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered a PNY 128GB USB3.0 also. I read with some members who tried the mod with this type of USB had problem with its wide pcb fitting the space, which some removed the tab to make it fit. Is it possible to send pics of your mod? TIA

9. Winciu

Winciu Pen Pal - Newbie

It is possilbe to solder the M.2 socket eg. ngff socket or simillar to use this 3g/gps module ?
    I bought the Dell Venue Pro 8 for navigation, but without 3G modem, wifi version.

10. nader294

nader294 Pen Pal - Newbie

photo(3).jpg Is it through these ports charge? without micro USB(normal)my micro USB port broken and can not charging.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015