Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Jaster

Jaster Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the rear case fit flush with the additional USB port, or is that not important for your application?

Byet likes this.
  2. Joshua A Gray

Joshua A Gray Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes. If done right. There is a clear plastic trim you need to remove. And the USB port needs to be trimmed down Due to the metal tabs that fold at the edges. my brother has pics. The second time I did it I glued the port down in the wrong spot from the cutout I made and it didn't fit right but in my application it doesn't matter.

So mate it as low profile as you can and flush and then mark and make your cuts slowly until it fits.

3. Jaster

Jaster Pen Pal - Newbie

Great - thanks for the reply. If you get the pics and are able to post them at any point that would be much appreciated. I'm doing basically the same thing at the moment and I think the fit varies quite a lot simply based on what make of USB connector you have. I have two at the moment and they both fit very differently.

4. inaudible101

inaudible101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey guys. I performed the mod to install two 128GB sticks a while ago and it has been working great. I am wondering if anyone knows of a slim USB hub board that could fit in the back of our tablets. I just need the board. I was hoping to find a slim long one with two to four contact points to solder connections to.

The reason I am looking is because the wifi/bluetooth chip in my unit is a giant POS and will disconnect both bluetooth and wifi after only minutes of usage and I have to reset the adapter to get them online again. I would like to be able to install either a different bluetooth or wifi module without loosing my USB storage. I have some micro USB and Wifi adapters that I could remove the USB plug from to reduce the size like I did the USB drives, but I need to be able to wire more than two devices.

I'd assume if there was one small enough someone would have already mentioned it, but I haven't heard of anyone looking for one either.

Thanks guys.

5. bigbop

bigbop Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Folks,

I came across this thread a short time ago and was wondering if anyone had scoped-out the highspeed differential data lines on the M2 connector.
    These would be pins 29,31 and 35,37 per the PDF diagram in the first post of this thread.
    Looking at the M2 spec sheet, these lines can be software defined as a few different protocols, including USB3 and SATA.

Also, I noticed that most people connect directly to the USB2 lines from the M2 connector. The small surface mount part just behind the connector is probably not a ferrite bead, but a pair of 100 ohm resistors.
    A small resistor is usually placed in series with each USB line to improve the impedance match and reduce noise.
    Something to ponder if you find you're not getting the read/write speed you thought you would get.
    And yes, the connection will work without them so if everything is fine, don't feel complelled to change anything.
    From the FCC website (a great source for internal photos) I've attached a photo of the M2 socket from the LTE motherboard. Note the added components not on the non-LTE board. GSM Module Socket.jpg

6. noelzx88

noelzx88 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys I'm new here,and its so glorious what has been done here, I've tried looking for other sites with this mod for comparison no luck this site is the only one doing this type of modification with this device, I just have a few questions if anyone can enlighten me that would be great =) my dvp8 micro USB port is almost shot, I want to install a full USB 2.0 port on my dell venue 8 pro, will I be able to use the newly added USB port as a secondary charger port to charge the device using the method indicated on this form??.. Also would it be possible to add a HDMI port to the the dell venue 8 pro?

7. Natebluehooves

Natebluehooves Pen Pal - Newbie

sadly you can add the usb host port, but you will not be able to charge over it in this way. sending power back into the tablet backwards like that would be a bad idea. however it's totally possible to buy a micro usb type a/b port and just re solder it onto the connector to repair it. would be a lot cheaper than asking dell to do it. though possibly very difficult to solder. just my 2 cents.

also to my knowledge there's no pins to solder down an hdmi port unfortunately. i would be all over that.

8. Julio Cesar

Julio Cesar Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi V3D, it is a little different from the main theme, but i would like to know if it is possible to overlap a second battery, wireing it to the same connector that goes to the MoBo, it would be like 2 batteries connected to 1 Male conector.

I don't care if i have to dremel the back of the tablet, that way i could have the double of battery life.

Regards

9. guzzimike66

guzzimike66 Pen Pal - Newbie

Joshua

Are you taking orders (or whatever you want to call it) to do the mods you've done on your tablet?

Thanks

Mike

10. nader294

nader294 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi:I have venue 8 (5830) dell , and usb broken .please help me how repair and fix it. photo(2).jpg photo(3).jpg