Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aboshi

Aboshi Pen Pal - Newbie

It could very well be newer flash controllers, I have tried 4 silicon power 128gb b30 drives on 2 different DV8P's and they were all muffed only on the dell. Even with otg Y cables, other windows boxes worked perfectly including MAC's. So It could just be the phison controller the dell hub doesn't like. I now have a sandisk cruizer 2.0 and its working flawlessly

2. Joshua A Gray

Joshua A Gray Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah. Maybe. I've tested a couple older ones and since the dv8p is my only PC right now been swapping files between others.

3. Joshua A Gray

V3D, this is what I mean. Sorry for crude drawing, did it on my phone using a socket as my pen...

[​IMG]

4. Aboshi

Aboshi Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok now for the worlds easiest 5v ;)
    Look at my pics you can see on the right side of the LED by the usb connector is a hot 5v when powered up.
    It doesn't get easier than that ;)
    As for the ground point, you can solder it anywhere on any of those shields I just chose where I did to make everything clean.
    The Reason I chose the placement for the flash dive is because it was too wide to fit in blank space is by the camera/battery area. Plus I plan on doing a copper shim mod to keep the flash drive nice and cool and will dissipate heat across the back of the case. I have this drive setup with 2 partitions (remember the hacked up usb drivers I posted back on page 15) I will use one partition to have a windows 8.1 enterprise install drive, and also use it to store a wim backup after I get done installing 8.1 enterprise. Than Ill wipe the emmc and start from scratch and use wimboot to have a nice compressed image and install all the software I need to run at a decent speed. I'll let you all know how that goes in a different thread ;)
    But for now here are the pic for this mod (I can do this mod from start to finish now in less than 20 mins)
    DSC01687.JPG DSC01691.JPG DSC01692.JPG DSC01695.JPG DSC01700.JPG DSC01701.JPG

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  5. Joshua A Gray

OK cool. I got my new motherboard for 17 bucks. Was hoping to find a 64 but couldn't for a low price. Going to prep some wires and wait for V3D to respond. Hope to make this dual USB ports functioning with ease and no heart break.

6. SkOrPn

SkOrPn Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the D pads are located directly next to the small weak pads. According to V3P's diagram anyway...

Like so
    [​IMG]

@ Aboshi, where did you get that small wire? That looks like genuine trace repair wire, or old school wire wrap. That is what Intel supplied me (the green stuff anyway) back in the day to do their trace repairs on circuit boards. Wish I could get a spool of that stuff.

7. Joshua A Gray

Not according to that PDF diagram. It doesn't show the separated pins. I'll count all of them.

8. SkOrPn

SkOrPn Pen Pal - Newbie

The separated pins are called the "Key" by electronics techs, officially its called the "Mechanical Key" on the PDF drawing. On the actual connector itself the Mechanical Key does not have any pins located at these spots, hence why there are no pads on the PCB. All M.2 devices are also "keyed" similar to how PCIe has a key, and DDR RAM has a "key" spot. I was trying to find a better diagram, but failed to locate one.

I believe the space you see, represents the key area. Good luck counting that, haha. My eyes would get tired half way up the diagram...

Here is V3D's or someones pic of the area on page 13 I think.
    [​IMG]

9. Joshua A Gray

OK. So then that leaves the two tabs above D- and D+. Empty or not... When I tried to repair the tab I did jump the 4 into 2... But obviously didn't fix my issue so might not mean a thing. But wanna know before I go soldering away... Time to get a new needle tip.

10. Joshua A Gray

It works. Woot woot. New motherboard done. Nerves are high. [​IMG][​IMG]

And I have Elsa to keep me calm.[​IMG]

It works. Powered hub, internal flash.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.