Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Kyuu

Kyuu Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can "fit a stripped USB in the area where the WAN module would be." Could you please clarify?

Also, I sent you the same question from my previous post via your ebay listing, so feel free to ignore the ebay message if you don't want to repeat yourself. =P

2. xboxexpert

xboxexpert Pen Pal - Newbie

Basically I can fit that specific Mushkin USB where I normally install USB sticks then if you wanted to utilize the other open port there is a area that has a small square pad, I can remove the pad and perhaps put a USB stick there if I strip out the header plug, like I normally do and squeeze it there. Perhaps the case will close. Either way I think I can fit another smaller USB after the Mushkin.

If you have not noticed, I enjoy a good challenge.

3. Kyuu

Kyuu Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh I gotcha. Honestly I don't think I'd need more than the 120GB from the Mushkin USB along with the 32GB internal NAND, although I suppose it couldn't hurt to stick another cheap 32GB in there for storing media and whatnot. Hmm...

Well before that, I have another question: not that I mean to take business away from you, but I was wondering what the difficulty level of this is -- basically, could I, as a first-time solderer, do this myself with little risk if I practiced a bit beforehand? Or would I be likely to screw things up?

4. xboxexpert

I'll be dead honest. DO NOT attempt this with a sh*tty $10.00 radio shack 15/35 watt iron with stock thick tip. First time solderer? The one 5v point is smaller than the point of a needle. I also dont recommend using that anchor point as I've experienced random times the tablet would black screen and not turn on until I held the power button down for 8 seconds. I since removed the anchor point to the 5v line and it stopped. The other points are very easy to pull off the board and then you are SOL using that USB port completely. I use a $500 JBC solder station with professional tips. If you see the background of my video you can see it there behind the tablet. I have extremely small tip points that hit the pads directly and nothing else. The heat I use is not in watts but in F/C and I use 700F to melt the solder. You can by all means try it yourself but seriously be careful. Your not going to ruin your tablet if you pull these specific USB pads but your going to risk not being able to use that specific port if even one of the data pads are pulled. Once you get the 30gauge wire on the PCB I suggest securing the wire with hot glue so it doesn't move. Even the slightest movement of the wire after its on the point will rip the point right off the board.

Lastly the only reason I would put a 2nd stick in there is to migrate the recovery partition off the main SSD and regain space.

If anyone thinks I'm steering him wrong please feel free to chime in if you've completely this mod successfully. Even if you've failed and pull pads I'd like some input. For me this is a difficulty of maybe a 3 out of 10. I only say a 3 because every time I do one I try and do it differently trying different ways to run the wires to make life easier on me the next time I do it.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  5. Kyuu

Kyuu Pen Pal - Newbie

Alright alright, I believe you. You're worth the $60 =P. I'd probably have to pay at least that anyway to get a decent solder gun with a small enough tip, plus the solder and other miscellaneous bits.

As for the second USB, I think one of the small form factor USB sticks, like the the Mushkin Atom, would probably be perfect.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. limyx

limyx Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you V3D, Woody and Peter for all the incredible modding ideas. I have attempted the mod on my Dell Venue 8 Pro with PNY 128gb thumbdrive. It was an ugly mod on my side as i do not have much skills with soldering. Haha. But now everything is working (Thank God). Getting read/write speed on crystaldisk of 30-40ish mb/s.

I have a question. Is it normal for the USB stick to be powered on during charging despite the dell venue 8 was switched off? I am afraid i may have accidentally soldered some connection wrongly. Reason being, it felt warm near the area of the USB stick while charging with my tablet switched off.

Once again, thank for everything. Your guys are awesome.

Phidol S. and Woody like this.
  7. xboxexpert

Yeah I can fit both of those in there after removing the USB header from both. I don't see those two to be an issue.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. xboxexpert

I looked more indepth and I notice the Mushkin Ventura has an Aircraft Grade Aluminum Shell. I just hope that shell does not act as a heatsink for the chips. I would be removing the shell to fit the pcb in the Venue.

9. jvamps

jvamps Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings everyone! new to this forum but was reading up on this thread and was definitely liking the progression of it. I'm an electronics repair/refurbish tech and have a dell tablet so decided to give it a whirl! so far have micro usb external port added. I offhand do not have a method of probing the board at the moment, is there only one lead so far for power? or was there another, didn't catch it in the forums.
    mach up model so far:
    https:// www. dropbox.com/sh/p92qe0pf8qkfxl9/AABbuFIrmGa_LrC0Ery7EfFOa

10. Kyuu

Kyuu Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm... I'm sure the aluminum case is acting as a heatsink. The question is, will it overheat without it? No way to know for sure without trying, I suppose.

I wonder if perhaps attaching a thin sheet of copper to the PCB with some thermal tape would work as a substitute (and still fit in the DV8P)?