Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

1. avelec

avelec Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, xboxexpert. I ended up using SD-Micro to SD Card Adapter SD-Micro to SD Card Adapter.JPG . Currently using 128GB and can easily swap to 256gb later.

2. xboxexpert

xboxexpert Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you show us how you fit that in there I'd like to know. Were there any space constrictions?

3. avelec

avelec Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is the picture. The reason I opted for SD card instead of micro SD is cost. Hope this helps.

SD-Micro to SD Card.jpg

4. xboxexpert

Looks like that would fit quite nicely where the black foam is internal..I'm going to order me one, may I ask where you got it?

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  5. Woody

Woody Pen Pal - Newbie

the flex cable on that looks to short to reach over to where the foam pad is (in the 3g module space), find one with a longer flex and it would fit very nicely in that spot.

6. inaudible101

inaudible101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi again guys. I just wanted to share the work that I did on my tablet. Thanks to Woody I was able to get my first 128GB stick up, but I went back in and thanks to Xboxexpert I was able to install a second stick using the contact points he uses. I also tossed on a copper plate to see if it helps with heat. You can see my sloppy work here.

Those two extra data points that xboxexpert use really freaked me right the **** out. They are very very teeny.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. avelec

avelec Pen Pal - Newbie

8. Tobias Claren

Tobias Claren Pen Pal - Newbie

@ thatguypeter

Hello.

I can not find a similiar Thread for the Venue 11 Pro.

Is there really this big free place in this Tablet? Nothing removed?
    You know the situation in a Venue 11 Pro (second version with Full-HD and 64GB)?

I have read, "Just replaced my 128gb with 256gb"...
    Is it so simple to replace the internal storage???

For example 256GB intstead of 64GB from the second Venue 11 Pro?
    "easily swapped" sound like a sloted HDD-memory.

Or is there a mod link list or a thread for the Venue 11 Pro?

9. Kyuu

Kyuu Pen Pal - Newbie

They aren't talking about swapping out the internal memory. They are adding USB drives via some unused USB pins on the motherboard, and installing the USB drive inside the case. You cannot swap out the internal memory because it is soldered to the motherboard.

None of the modders here have attempted this on a Venue 11 Pro, at least as of the last time they posted, so there's no way to know if the same mod will work on it. I'd give good odds that it would, though.

To any of the modders:

I'd like to do this mod but with a good amount of some blazing fast storage, such as the Mushkin Enhanced Ventura Ultra 120GB. I realize that the USB 2.0 interface will greatly bottleneck the speeds, but really I'm more concerned about good random reads/writes than the sequential performance, and all the info I can find on slower USB drives indicates they have poor random read/writes, while drives like this Mushkin (which are basically mini-SSDs) have much better random read/writes. My question is, will a drive like this fit inside the DV8P with this mod? The product page indicates the dimensions of the drive are 73.36 x 19.88 x 9.07mm, and we'll assume that the internal PCB takes up roughly the same amount of space.

10. xboxexpert

Yes that Mushkin will fit but only one...I can then fit a stripped USB in the area where the WAN module would be.

Also if I had a 11" Venue I would pin out points but given I have a wife and 18 month old I don't have the funds to go about getting one to "test"