Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

1. lifeisfun

lifeisfun Pen Pal - Newbie

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  2. lifeisfun

lifeisfun Pen Pal - Newbie

My tablet is two months old and used about 8 hrs a day, so hopefully it will keep working.

3. kwachter88

kwachter88 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

sorry for that question, but does anybody know if it is possible to add an 128GB USB to an Dell Venue 8 Pro with 64 GB AND UMTS??

best regards

4. dhayden

dhayden Pen Pal - Newbie

ok gang,,,,bought this and will give it a try. My micro usb port on the side of my DV8P fried while trying to use a 3 way cable to charge and use a usb stick. Oh well. Amazon and got my money back, and they also sent the dell back too....FREE. So something to tear apart and play with. Waiting on my tiger direct USB 128 GB flash drive to include this too since I am tearing this thing apart. Next is to Radio Shack to see about the flux and needle type soldering iron. to get to the small spots to add the wires to. Wish me luck. Hopefully the QI you listed with charging pad will work. If it does, then I don't need the micro USB port for charging...HEHEHEHE. thanks everyone for all you posts. Much appreciated for me and everyone else. Dan

5. Xentar712

Xentar712 Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the Qi charging pad that you hook up to the usb port. I was unable to get the DV8P to charge with it. It works fine on other phones and tablets. There's something with the DV8P that requires a "signal" of sorts to start the charging process. I also have had issues with some external batteries not working while others work just fine.

6. Woody

Woody Pen Pal - Newbie

Have not seen any pictures of the inside of that model. But the space where we put the memory stick should be still be empty. As long as you can remove the 3g module to get to any solder points if needed then yes you can do this mod in just the same way.

32/64 gb models are idenitcal, just have different capacity flash chip is all. 3g model has an additional 3g modute above there the gold square pad is but should be in a socket so can be unplugged.

7. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tried adding a 1.5 kOhm resistor across the data pins like what they are trying in the "Venue 8 - USB and Power at the same time?" thread? This device will definitely not charge unless it detects a "short" across the data pins; I have an external battery/power bank that will only work on the "Android" port, but not the "Apple" port (different data pin behaviors to allow charging).

8. Xentar712

Xentar712 Pen Pal - Newbie

Never tried that. If I get a chance, I'll try it and let you know.

9. Ianas

Ianas Pen Pal - Newbie

I also tried my Venue 8 Pro with a Qi-compatible USB wireless charging adapter I had on hand. The Venue would report that it was plugged in and charging but it would not maintain a charge. A little research revealed that most wireless charging units (my own included) only output 500-650 mA. This is not sufficient to charge the Venue 8 Pro while in use. The charger that comes in a box is 2000 mA if I recall correctly. Maybe if one were able to extract the circuitry from an HP touchpad that could be modified to work with the Venue (similar to how the wireless charging capabilities of the Palm Pre and relatives have been modified to work with other phones) but then it would not be Qi compatible. I don't know if there are any Qi-compatible adapters that work with Tablets.

10. inaudible101

inaudible101 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just registered to say thank you to Woody! His pictures were invaluable to me while doing this mod. I was able to get my PNY 128GB drive set up and running. My read speeds are at around 40MBp's, but my write speed is mid 20's.

I was having tons of problems with windows not recognizing the flash drive and I went over my wiring atleast half a dozen times and tested continuity with a multimeter.

I was getting something along the lines of invalid response from the drive and a stop code of 43 I believe. I played around with some windows 7 drivers and popped the back case on and it suddenly started working. I'm not sure if it was the back case or the drivers. If anyone else is having similar issues post here and I'll find the link I used that provided the drivers and directions. It appears to be an issue with the microsoft issued drivers for the USB host controller and using USB 3.0 devices on it. It looks like the culprit was windows 8.1.

Of course it could have been a bad connection somewhere the popped into place when I put the case back on, but I'm leaning torwards the drivers being the problem.

Woody likes this.