Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

1. mytime34

mytime34 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been reading through the posts and trying to find correct info.
    Does the D8VP have USB 3.0 built in, just not at the USB connector or does it have just USB 2.0

If the USB 3.0 is available internally than wiring it up shouldn't be too bad.

2. Woody

Woody Pen Pal - Newbie

USB 3 is NOT available internally even though there is a usb 3 controller. The motherboard was only designed to support USB 2, and 2 data pairs and possibly other components are missing

3. Avenger09

Avenger09 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone have any other brands that will fit? I ordered the PNY 128GB Turbo USB 3.0 (PFD128TBOP-GE) off of Amazon.com for $48 and am now waiting for delivery. For those that have done it, would there be room in the tablet if I ordered a female USB plug off of ebay (ie just the plug part) that way I can plug in and out the flash drive if required, internally?

4. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Pen Pal - Newbie

The PNY is a little wide, so you have to filed the tab next to the empty slot. The slot is long enough for you to put a female plug if needed (short female plug). You will need to cut the support pillars positioning at the empty slot. Do not force it in..you might break the glass..this tablet screen is very delicate. It will not support a lot of force on it.

5. Avenger09

It was a REALLY tight fit. I didn't file it down but it barely fit at an angle. Nice to have the 128gb, that's for sure. I decided not to attempt the female dongle end after I saw the size inside, plus it won't arrive for another week. Happy with the mod so far, good find guys!
    [​IMG]

6. thekaz

thekaz Pen Pal - Newbie

when is some one smarter than me going to do this kinda thing for the Venue 11 Pro ?

cliffr39 likes this.
  7. slippyfox

slippyfox Pen Pal - Newbie

Now who wants to do this as a service.....?

8. Woody

Woody Pen Pal - Newbie

If i had one i probably would have had a poke around in there by now.

After doing mine i thought about it but forum rules are quite clear that services cant be offered, i would have if allowed put a post in the BST for this soldering service, maybe even look at other soldering repairs.

Heres whats said in the rules here.. looks like a clear no no.

Advertising Services
    We do not allow people to post threads or to send private messages or emails to users here that advertise or solicit any products or services. Explicit advertising and soliciting in sigs is also prohibited.
    You are not allowed to posts links to personal blogs in posts, no exceptions. Links of that type are restricted to the signature area only; see below for additional information.

Any forum moderator or site owner reading this, Can special permission be granted in any way for this service to be offered here as i would like to if it ever becomes possible.

9. lifeisfun

lifeisfun Pen Pal - Newbie

Should I disconnect the battery while doing the soldering or it will create problems if bios gets reset?

Thanks

10. Avenger09

I did the soldering with the tablet powered off and battery connected and encountered no issues.