Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't get the program to run right. It keeps on crashing the drive and freezing the computer. It really mess up the PNY drive. I had to reformat it again for Window 8.1 to see it. DO NOT USE THIS PROGRAM ON THE PNY! I don't know if its compatibility issue or not with window 8.1.

Peter

2. Woody

Woody Pen Pal - Newbie

CrystalDiskMark runs fine for me on windows 8.1 on the internal flash and my added 32gb usb stick with no problems at all.

HD Tune also works fine for me, i just use the free version - HD Tune website
    try that out and see if you still have problems..

have you tried out any file transfers yet and if so is it working?

3. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Woody, thanks again for labeling all the connections. It really helped in soldering the right ports and connections. I can run the test on HD Tune, but not on the Crystal one. On the HD Tune, I am getting an average of 34.6MB for the transfer rate. I guess its OK. MS Office work great on the PNY USB drive. It load pretty quick. I don't see any lag in loading time.

Did you test if we can boot the recovery image from the USB drive? I really want to erase the recovery partition if it possible and save more space on the main disk.

Peter

4. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur Scribbler - Standard Member

Works fine for me too, on all my Win 8.1 machines including the Dell Venue 8 Pro.

5. Ethos Evoss

Ethos Evoss Pen Pal - Newbie

So now when u did this in awkwardest way .. ar you able to install OS on it?

Sent from my LG-F320S using Tapatalk

6. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What's so awkward about it? Seems pretty graceful and engineering-creative to me! :)

7. Ethos Evoss

Ethos Evoss Pen Pal - Newbie

Well i can see it is usb 3.0 why u connected only usb 2.0 pins qnd not all ?

Sent from my LG-F320S using Tapatalk

8. Woody

Woody Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes only the Usb 2.0 pins are connected, This little dell only has usb 2.0 available on the motherboard. The micro usb port is also usb 2.0 only.
    While the Atom chipset does have a usb3 controller on board some hardware seems to be missing and there are 2 data pairs missing from the board :(

Its a fast usb2 port though, really fast.. 42MB/s !!

There is no need for usb 3 for me, i transfer files over the network (6Mb/s) to my device and only use the added usb for data and media storage.
    it is fast enough to run games and software from just fine with no noticeable lag.

9. Woody

Woody Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Peter,
    Good job joining the warranty void club :)
    Your average speeds seem about right for a usb 3 thumbdrive on a usb 2.0 port, it will vary a little from one drive to another but really not by much, 1-2mb.s either way.
    i got 35 min, 43 max and 38 average myself so very similar.

i havent tried making a backup or booting it from the usb drive yet. i will try to get round to it soon. its a bit of a time consuming task.

10. Xentar712

Xentar712 Pen Pal - Newbie

I wonder if you had a bad version of CrystalDisk. There's a couple sketchy versions out there. Thanks for posting the speeds though. Pretty much confirms the max speed of USB 2.0. :) I have the same drive but I hate to waste giving up the usb 3.0 capabilities of it. Still debating... CrystalDisk benchmarks the drive at R-180 W-102 in USB 3.0.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.