Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you Woody for the quick response! The Dell Venue 8 Pro will be here tomorrow and I got a spare USB stick to give this a go. Peter

2. Xentar712

Xentar712 Pen Pal - Newbie

Think it would be possible to add a hall effect sensor to allow sleep/wake with a case? I'm not sure how they are usually wired up, but I would assume it's through a data channel such as usb.

3. calne

calne Pen Pal - Newbie

I am going to be getting this tab soon and would love to try this mod out. Where would i get a usb port to use for this? and is there a detailed instruction for this at all?

4. TheOnlyKingArthur

TheOnlyKingArthur Scribbler - Standard Member

I am planning this myself, using the Venue 8 Pro, as a carpc, and was wondering the same thing. But I'm assuming that if you used D+, D-, 5v, and Gnd from Woody's connection photos (post #110) attached to a female USB jack, you wouldn't need to supply 5v and Gnd from the external DC-DC converter, since you are using a powered hub for anything connected to that port. If you wanted to plug in an external hard drive (or other power hungry device) directly to those connections without a hub, then you would need to use the external power supply. Can anyone confirm this?

Another question for a carpc application: Ideally I'd like to connect a power cable to the original microUSB port for charging, and a powered USB hub with peripherals to the newly discovered USB port, without having to connect/disconnect cables or flip switches for charging the tablet--ever. This should be possible correct?

Thanks V3D for creating this topic and to everyone else who has contributed! Very helpful information.

5. dhayden

dhayden Pen Pal - Newbie

Me too... me too.... how much will you charge ;)

6. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

What kind of files/programs do you folks store on your DVP8?

I don't even have sd card on my 64 gb dvp8.. granted I have minimal program install.

7. TheOnlyKingArthur

Music, Movies, Video Games. Eats through 64GB real quick.

8. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And if you have an iso file of a DVD, that's 4-5 (or more) GB right there. :(

9. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Pen Pal - Newbie

OK..I did the mod and added 128GB USB 3.0 Drive to the Dell Venue 8 Pro. The USB drive I bought is the PNY 128GB Turbo USB 3.0 (PFD128TBOP-GE). Its got a really good review by this site. I can confirm it's very fast!!!

Benchmark: PNY 128GB Turbo USB 3.0 (P-FD128TBOP-GE)

OK, now to the details of the mod.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    Woody likes this.
  10. TheOnlyKingArthur

What speeds are you getting with the flash drive? I'm curious how fast it runs through the internal USB 2.0 port. Can you run a CrystalDiskMark benchmark? It's free...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.