Adding 128GB of Flash to the Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by V3D, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. V3D

V3D Scribbler - Standard Member

It could fit but it would not really give any advantage over the micro USB port already on it. You would still need an adapter / extension cable & it would still be current limited.

Plus it is not hard to modify a USB hub to allow charging while using other USB devices.

A full USB port would have been nice because you could use the nano USB flash drives, mouse & keyboard receivers without having them stick way out on a adapter where the micro USB port could be easily broke.

eddierab likes this.
  2. bixcy

bixcy Pen Pal - Newbie

So what u think about idea to provide more power to original usb port?

3. ayle

ayle Pen Pal - Newbie

Is the usb 3.0 host controller appearing in the device manager actually doing anything?

4. V3D

While Baytrail does have a native USB 3.0 controller & the (M.2 slot B) should have 3.0 on it, the tabs appear to be disconnected somewhere on the board. :p-

You might be able to fit a small DC to DC step up voltage regulator somewhere in the tablet & get a extra 300-500ma.

5. pkaush

pkaush Pen Pal - Newbie

Great work guys! I appreciate your efforts. I am planning to put a full USB port and power it externally. Well my application is different. I am planning to use venue 8 pro as carpc and it will always have power when I want to use USB port.

I have another question, there is not much space in the car dash to plug in the microUSB cable to the tablet. I wanted to solder wires to the board where microUSB is soldered, but those connectors are very small. Is there any other recommended place where I can solder wires to provide power to tablet and not use microUSB port at all?

Something like, if I connect 5v to the connection, from where V3D suggested to take power and ground the screw. Would that charge the tablet?

Thanks for your help :)

6. Woody

Woody Pen Pal - Newbie

i used a cheap branded kingmax usb stick that looks like the one in this link
    Kingmax 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - Grey - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Yes, i soldered my wire to the ground pad underneath/surrounding the screw rather than use the screw to make the connection or pin the wire.

If you add a full size usb port you still sill not have a full 500ma on that port, will be limited like the microusb is and trying to pull too much power from an added post may do damage as the usb controller cant properly regulate or shut of added usb devices as fas as im aware.

Those connections are small, the 5v tab really is tiny and easily damaged if you use to much heat, there are no other known points to take 5v from in the tablet.(thanks again to V3D for finding this)
    You cannot feed the device 5v on this pad and have it charge, in fact youre likely to do a lot of damage by trying.
    The only way to have it charge is by feeding power to the micro usb port, you could attach wires to the back of this port though.

7. V3D

There is one other tab that is just as tiny nearby that also outputs 5v.

Just be very careful as the tabs are very small & really easy to rip off the board. That is why I soldered that little connector plug to the board, it takes the stress of the wires off those tiny tabs.

Yes there are a few places you could solder onto to power it, though you still need to have the D+ & D- shorted together on the micro USB port data lines. both can be done easily from the back of the tablet without removing the board.

No, I don't think it would & like Woody said you might damage it if you try.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  8. pkaush

pkaush Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Woody and V3D for your response!

I think the connector is a great idea. Let me see if I could pull something like this.

This could be interesting, would you be able to point them out, if that is not too much trouble.

What I am planning to do is take D+ and D- from the board and take 5v + and 5v - from an external dc-to-dc converter and connect all four wires to a USB class A female port. I need this to add a USB hub to it, and I guess if it is a self powered hub, I might not even need 5v wires.

9. thatguypeter

thatguypeter Pen Pal - Newbie

He Woody,

Thanks for the pictures and doing the mod. Anyway you can label the wires for each of the location it was solder on. I try to trace the wires but lost it once you routed under the USB stick. I think it would help those who want to do the mod to know where the wires needed to be solder to and it respected location.

Great pictures and a very clean mod process. Oh, do you know if this will allow us to do a system boot from the added USB drive or run the recover disk on it?

Thanks,

Peter

dhayden and Woody like this.
  10. Woody

Woody Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the kind comments on my work Peter.
    i have added added some labels for you to make it easier to track whats going where, my limited choice of wire colours makes it hard to trace them as there are 2 white wires and the purple one almost looks white at the usb stick end due to my camera not liking that colour.
    click the pics to see them larger on photobucket, you can even download the source image from there and be able to zoom in for a close look too.

I haven't got round to trying any of the recovery stuff on the tablet yet but in theory it should not be an issue as the usb drive appears as a regular removable drive, is selectable in bios as a bootable drive and as the micro usb port is free you can have it plugged in so windows installer will allow you continue.
    If and when i try it i will post my experience.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excuse my plain labels, i have no photo editing skills and fudged these with ms paint like a pro! :) but they seem to do the job and look clear enough to me.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    eddierab likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.