Active Stylus Not Working After Windows Update

Discussion in 'Dell' started by crossface, Feb 12, 2016.

1. crossface

crossface Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a (original) Venue 8 Pro, and Windows 10 updated itself a day or two ago. Since then, my active stylus (newer silver) does not work. It will show the hover - dot on the screen, highlighted button when I hold the stylus over it - but it will not recognize handwriting or select a button if I press it.

I'm curious if anyone else has the same issue, or if maybe there's some reason other than the W10 update for this sudden behavior that I will have to troubleshoot. The stylus is very important to me.

2. crossface

Never mind. The stylus went bad. I pulled out my old 02 black barrel and it worked.

3. hauseda

hauseda Pen Pal - Newbie

Just figured out a possible solution. Not all AAAA batteries have the positive post sticking out enough to connect with the Dell active stylus positive post on the tip end. I was scratching my head trying to figure it out so added a very small piece of folded up tin foil to the tip portion of the stylus. Voila! Stylus now works...

Mikerman likes this.
  4. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Pen Pal - Newbie

Something else on my silver stylus...

No clue why... but mine kills energizer AAAA batteries way faster than the Duracell ones.

Fussy stylus.

5. crossface

I've only ever used energizers, but I guess I'll have to try a duracell. I don't use my stylus often enough that the energizers last at least a month. Even the silver barrel isn't good enough that it's that much of a pleasure to use.

6. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Pen Pal - Newbie

I used it pretty regularly, the Duracell batteries would hold out for almost 3 months, while the energizer ones I'm fighting to get a month to a month and a half out of them. The stylus also seemed a lother more stable with the Duracell batteries.

The crummy bit... I have to order the Duracell ones in, as I can only find the Energizer ones locally.

7. Rob Halligan

Rob Halligan Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been through 5 of these pens. They work when testing and then fail when I get in front of a client. I think I've had V1, V2, and V3 of the pens. Is there a V4? Should I get some tin foil and Duracells and try again?

8. ericyy

ericyy Pen Pal - Newbie

Agree, really frustrating for the pen, my Venue is perfect in every other way except the pen... I really want to change it to another tablet for the pen...