Active digitizer on Toshiba Encore 2 WT8-B (Encore 2 Write)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Giacomo UCDS, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

I just received my 10" EW2

1. AAAA Battery, just like the SP3 N-Trig Pen
    2. Yes, within about 1/2" of the screen you see the cursor pop up.
    3. I have 3 other pens that work on my Thinkpad Yoga, none of those work on the Encore Write
    4. Yes, seems so. An extra one is in the box.
    5. Haven't gotten to that level of tinkering yet.
    6. Seems pretty good. As good as SP3 or TP Yoga

JoeS likes this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The 1/2" hover part is good news. There was an article that stated it was only 2-3 mm. That would have been a huge problem for many people if it had been true.

3. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Well look whos going back to the microsoft store? The Encore 2 Write!

I was charging it up all night, I was setting up my tablet this morning.

I set it up for windows updates, went and took a shower, came back and the screen wont turn on.

My initial impressions.

1. There is a battery. AAAA
    2. The hover is about the same distance as the Surface Pro 3.
    3. None of my Pens work with the Encore 2 Write, other than the OEM supplied pen. This was to be expected since this is new pen tech and the other pens dont have a battery.
    4. My tablet did not come with Extra Nibs. I wasnt able to remove the nib at all.
    5. The feel drivers I did not get to install or work with since my tablet wont even turn on at this point.
    6. Edge accuracy was just fine, I had the Surface Pro 3 but decided to stay with my Thinkpad Yoga. The digitizer on the Encore is just as good as Surface Pro 3 or the Thinkpad Yoga.

Some other asides: The screen edge accuracy for the Encore was good at the edges unlike the ASUS. Pretty dissapointed the screen wont turn on. You can hear windows sounds if you press the power button or the windows start button.

I really do want a glorified E-Reader, mainly so I can scan my texts and drop them into my tablet.

The Yoga 2 Tablet might fit the bill with that new "pen" tech.

darkmagistric and thatcomicsguy like this.
  4. way2lazy

way2lazy Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you going to try to get it replaced, or just giving up on it?

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I actually have that same problem with my Surface Pro 3 every once and a while, where the screen won't turn on but the windows button still vibrates when pressed. on the Pro 3 to remedy this....I hold down the power button for 30-60 seconds....or how ever long it takes until pressing the windows button doesn't vibrate when pressed. Once the windows button doesn't vibrate, I hit the power switch and the unit turns on normally.

I think this issue may be more windows 8 based then having to do with the tablet.

6. koz2050

koz2050 Scribbler - Standard Member

Also, just discovered this...

There is a small opening on the bottom right of the tablet. At first I thought this was for the "Emergency Pen", but there isn't one on the EW2, that's the Z20T. So I'm thinking it's some type of lanyard thing or whatever, but it left me puzzled. Then, as I go to put the tablet away for a bit I'm pondering what to do with the Stylus, how do I store it. Low and behold, the Stylus has a clip on it that wouldn't work for a shirt pocket, because there's a big gap on it, but it does slide perfectly into the mystery slot. So it's the clip that slides in and the stylus is exposed on the outside. Pretty ingenious of them. You can pull the pen away from the tablet causing the clip to bend, so it's not a robust solution, but for simple carrying around it should work great.

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I was all set to get a z10t and then i saw this baby...oooh LUST....now to read the thread and watch the video

brb :)

(PS I already have a core i7 laptop so was having a hard time justifying buying the z10 to myself...)

WHY do I live in the UK...no idea when this will be released here...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  8. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I want a replacement. Other than the color this product is good, the pen is really damn good.

I wish a OEM would make a quality product with out the screen dying or having digitizer issues (ASUS)

Bronsky likes this.
  9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just started playing with Encore 2 Write 10 inch tablet. The feel of the Wacom AES pen is quite different, not nearly as fluid as EMR. It definitely doesn't feel like 2,048 levels of pressure. On the other hand, it seems to be much less jittery than N-Trig and equally accurate. No inadvertent blots on the beginning of strokes like Shogmaster demonstrated with Fresh Paint.

Sorry to post this in several threads.

I see above a mention of hover distance. Mine is nowhere near 1/2-inch...maybe 1/8th?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
    Mesosphere likes this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thanks. I have yet to see a video that shows anything near half an inch. At most 1/4 or so (6mm) I would guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.