Active digitizer on Toshiba Encore 2 WT8-B (Encore 2 Write)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Giacomo UCDS, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

Caramello, you are going to drive yourself nuts trying to define the 100% perfect low cost art tablet. I've been buying/using tablet PCs for 10 years and have been a classically trained industrial designer and painting enthusiast for 30. Without actually knowing what kind of art you do and what programs you may use I can't say with full conviction that the 8" Encore is the perfect machine for you. I can say that's its the best price performance tablet I have ever used and it delights me every time I pick it up. The parallax is not consequential, the accuracy is great, the pressure sensitivity is great (especially in MS5). If you haven't seen my previous posts in this thread that attempt to qualify these opinions with various stroke tests, go back to pages 3-5 and look for them. Surfaceproartist put together a summary on his blog from the same posts: http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2015/1/31/massive-guest-post-8-toshiba-encore-2-write-impressions
    There is also a review of the Write 10" by an artist on the site and he compares AES to nTrig: http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2015/3/1/guest-post-10-toshiba-encore-2-write-review?rq=encore

Lastly you should know that this category of tech development is moving quickly. Every year there will be new gear that will obsolete your old decision. Your gear will still work fine but there is going to be something far better every season. After a certain threshold of research is reached, managing your expectations is the best way to avoid buyer's remorse.

The Encore Write 8 is a very nice machine. Stunning for its price point.

EDIT: There's also some video reviews on p 12 of this thread

Robby-D likes this.
  2. Caramello

Caramello Pen Pal - Newbie

I know, I know.

I have read everything I could find about this wonderful tablet (seriously, I have links with specific information bookmarked), but I'm just scared of dropping money that I don't have much of on something I know I can't return (due to reasons I've been ranting about before). Like I said before, accuracy is all I need to make it easier to transition to digital media from traditional. I was leaning towards N-Trig when I decided I wanted a tablet for drawing as I've read a lot of comments about how little parallax the screens have, but I couldn't find an 8" tablet with that digitiser (I draw small on A5 traditionally so I want something small and would like to try Mischief on as well).

Bottomline, I really like the Encore 2 Write, but without support where I live, I'm scared to import. Games consoles, non-screen tablets, sure (I've repaired them in the past as a DIYer/hobbyist/amateur engineer/sculptor/artist), but tablets are new territory for me since they would be harder (and more expensive) to DIY repair if anything goes wrong (compared to convertible tablet PCs for example).

3. Robby-D

Robby-D Pen Pal - Newbie

FWIW I always buy "twitchy" tech (and cars) that are "unique niche" items, and as such I am very used to foibles and things not working properly. This Toshiba has been surprisingly free of all these things, and I speak very highly of it to my colleagues and customers.

Support is often overrated and under-delivered. If you can afford to take the chance, go for it! If it would cause you undue stress, consider holding off a year. As stated by Precurve above, tech is always changing and maybe next year will bring you an even better option, or maybe Toshiba will bring the Write models to the UK.

4. Caramello

I do want it now though as I would like to use it to help me with a little home business I'm starting, so a year would be too long for me. I really hate being in the UK. Having it released now over here would eradicate the worry I have in terms of support. But that's not the point of this thread.

New question: While I was determined to go for the 8" because I wanted something I could hold comfortably in the hand like a sketchbook, I'm also wondering if the micro HDMI output would be useful to me to possibly view what I draw on a bigger screen? Do you think the 10" version is worth it for that reason alone, or should I go for the 8" because of the compact size? I wish the HDMI was on the 8" too... If HP can do it, why can't Toshiba?

5. Precurve

If you mean having a cable dangling off the device while you draw connected to a monitor, then no, that doesn't sound useful for these devices. The 8" is so remarkably easy to handle. If you mean to view finished work: Do you have another computer with a larger screen? If so then that's the way to view the work. Sync through Dropbox (or any cloud support) or use the microSD. At 1280x800 a larger screen isn't going to help much.

6. Caramello

I imagine what you just described is how it would be used for educational purposes, perhaps with a projector or something so the teacher can do whatever and the 8" ones are for the students to use? I expect that's what Toshiba UK had in mind and why they say the tablets won't be available to consumers. But at least you helped me confirm my first choice. Thanks. ;)

EDIT: Can anyone tell me if the Bluetooth version the Encore 2 Write has is 4.0 LE (low energy)? I haven't heard back from HP about their tablet and I've found someone who can help me get the Encore 2 Write, so I just need to clarify a few things before I buy. I don't use bluetooth much at all, but it would be nice to have it in case a decent active capacitive pen appears on the market, which could be used as a backup in a pinch.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  7. Robby-D

Robby-D Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the 10" and use it in my job for presentations. I carry a microHDMI cable but I have instead been using the Microsoft Wireless Display Adaptor - it's a Miracast adaptor that plugs into an HDMI port and USB port (for power) and although it isn't perfect being untethered makes it worthwhile. This would work with either the 8" or the 10". I wouldn't make the microHDMI a buying decision, choose the form factor that makes the most sense to your usage.

Yes, it supports/is LE.

8. Precurve

Robby-D, Just to be clear, you mean the Miracast adapter plugs into HDMI and USB on the TV/Display not into the Encore? Since the 8" has neither HDMI or full sized USB and adapter would be problematic.

Though I haven't done it myself, my understanding is that the Encore, running Win 8.1 will wirelessly project to miracast out of the box if you have an external display that is miracast enabled?

9. jvloyola

jvloyola Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes the microsoft afapter plugs into the tv ports (hdmi and usb) effectively transforming a regular tv/monitor into a miracast enabled display.

It doesn't plug into the pc/tablet sensinf the video.

Vinny

10. Robby-D

Robby-D Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, any 3rd-gen Atom or 4th-gen Core-i supports miracast (and Intel WiDi) natively. 3rd-gen Core-i does too with a bit of work, and most Android devices support miracast too.

As jvloyola said, you don't plug anything into your tablet; just the MS adapter into the TV/monitor/projector - anything with an HDMI port. The USB is for power, so you can plug it into the monitor/TV, into a USB battery pack, or into anything else that has a powered USB port in a pinch.

Review, pics and video here: http://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-wireless-display-adapter/
    Chromecast may work well too for less money: https://www.google.com/chrome/devices/chromecast/

internalaudit and jvloyola like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.