Active digitizer on Toshiba Encore 2 WT8-B (Encore 2 Write)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Giacomo UCDS, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HKC

HKC Pen Pal - Newbie

Robby-D, thanks very much. I read on another thread about the ThinkPad 10. So here are my uses for the tablet: 1) for work: writing notes at meetings and export them, review documents (annotation), sign documents, use IE to access internet for work emails; 2) for fun: read books and watch movies (on the go). I found a ThinkPad 10, which has much higher resolution and RAM, but uses a wacom EMR. How does this stylus compared to the TruPen for the functions I need for work? For fun or IE, the TP10 resolution and RAM definitely win, so my concern at this point is mainly the stylus functions. I have been using the Samsung Note 8 for the last 2 years, and love it. I am only looking at Windows tablet for IE, since my work system can only be accessed with IE. Thanks.

2. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

Earlier in this thread is a lengthy post about PDF annotation
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...wt8-b-encore-2-write.63815/page-5#post-425385

I wouldn't spend a lot of time on "free". If someone has found a better app than Drawboard I haven't heard about it. Its not perfect but its very good.

Robby-D likes this.
  3. Robby-D

Robby-D Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't know of anywhere where the Wacom is compared vs. the ES, but here's a good synopsis of the differences between the digitizer techs:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...er-technology-available-as-of-may-2014.62320/

The Write has a bit of "depth" between glass and display which my N-trig and Synaptics do not, but it's mainly unnoticeable. I'm sure both devices would be good, your budget is probably going to be the ultimate factor between the two.

4. Caramello

Caramello Pen Pal - Newbie

Robby-D, would you say that the N-Trig digitiser is more accurate in terms of ink appearing at the pen tip compared to Wacom's AES? That was the main reason I wanted the Encore 2 Write and because it was 8" *more compact and cheaper). If an 8" tablet with N-Trig's latest tech appeared, I would probably switch, but I've never come across one yet. I have owned tablet PCs before (HP 2730 and Motion Computing C5 which I still have a white pen for that I don't use), but it was the inaccuracy of the tip no matter how much I calibrated that made me get rid of them.

Since I'm used to traditional art, it's hard to train myself to look elsewhere than the tip of the tool I'm using and to not expect the medium to flow from said tip. But while I've been soaking up reviews and opinions from all over the place, it's hard to believe in a particular product when everyone has a different idea of digitiser accuracy. I need that cursor to be right underneath to preserve my sanity and it can't be too expensive as I'm on a budget.

5. Robby-D

Robby-D Pen Pal - Newbie

From a calibration perspective both are great and track while hovering accurately and with good precision, with the N-trig exhibiting more lag in the hover cursor "chasing" the hovering tip. The glass-gap is smaller on the N-trig, so for setting the tip down and having the ink start at the tip, the N-trig wins. However, I find the Wacom ES tracks the motion better, so once I am moving the pen I'd vote for Wacom. In Windows I find I pay more attention to the tiny little dot cursor when hovering, rather than the pen tip, so I had to actually focus on the tip to even notice where the N-trig is better when testing for you. Net result is that the Wacom exhibits significantly better performance in making my writing more legible, my diagrams and process flow maps more consistent and "pretty."

The Wacom pen tip also feels loads better against the screen. I have likened the Wacom to being like writing on a small stack of paper, while the N-trig feels like writing on a computer screen with a rigid plastic stylus (think Palm Pilots). For my purposes - mainly writing and business diagrams - I'd choose the Wacom ES over N-trig when presented with the option, but be satisfied with either.

I am definitely not using these devices for art - as that's your thing, I'd suggest getting a second opinion on the matter or trying them out for yourself :) Based on your post though I would guess you'd find the N-trig better for your purposes as the glass gap would likely trouble you, especially if you are used to holding the pen at varying slopes or looking at the screen from more acute angles.

6. Caramello

Drat, I was hoping you wouldn't recommend N-Trig because I couldn't find any 8" tablets with that technology. However, I have mad searching skills and came across the HP Pro Tablet 408 G1:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/4AA5-5197EEAP.pdf?ver=1.0

It apparently has an "active pen" as an accessory, which looks like it's N-Trig tech (though it could be Synaptics which would put me off completely), but what worries me is that if it is, it might be the old version meaning the digitiser won't be compatible with the newer Duosense pens which are obviously more accurate:

http://h30094.www3.hp.com/product.aspx?sku=11144407&mfg_part=K8P73AA&pagemode=ca

Seems it's also available from HP UK, but I would have to confirm it with them as these days businesses don't even updates their websites properly. Unfortunately reviews are limited at best and I only found one short review and it didn't even mention that it could use a pen in the first place! I keep leaning towards the Toshiba as the general consensus is that it's a decent tablet with a decent pen.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Actually, it might be an Atmel. HP is the only company using that technology .

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

Robby-D and dj0502 like this.
  8. Caramello

Now I'm not so sure about that. As far as I know Atmel MaxStylus technology is powered using a AAA battery, yet the datasheet for the Active Pen mentions a AAAA battery. Unless they've brought out a newer one that uses the same size battery as others? I'm trying to find a direct number for HP UK where I don't have to deal with a sales representative so I can get a clear-cut answer on what that pen is. And I don't use Twitter as I think it's a waste of time. So nyeh. :p

By the way, does the Encore 2 Write suffer from any light bleed at all? That was something that has been mentioned about HP's tablets...

EDIT: Tried 4 different numbers and couldn't get to anyone that could help (two of those numbers actually disconnected me on their own?). Seems it's not available in the UK direct from HP? So I guess it's Encore 2 Write or nothing.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The 10" version that I have doesn't have any bleed that I can see, but to be honest I only use it during day time.

Balbutio ergo sum

10. Caramello

That's good to know. I doubt the 8" would be any different.

Suum cuique

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.