Active digitizer on Toshiba Encore 2 WT8-B (Encore 2 Write)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Giacomo UCDS, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't worry, the Netherlands is generally worse. If I want a cool device, I generally have to buy it in Germany (even Amazon.nl is only a front for Amazon.de). Oh, and if we do finally get something, two or three new versions of that device has already been released to the rest of the world...

2. Caramello

Caramello Pen Pal - Newbie

I was hoping Germany would get it before the UK as they tend to get stuff we've never even heard of. But alas, it's not there either. I may have to look for someone who can order it on my behalf and I pay whatever to get it to me. While I have imported many electrical items before, I'm a little nervous of tablets simply because I will have zero warranty and support other than procedures a user can perform at home.

3. Sweetpea8472

Sweetpea8472 Scribbler - Standard Member

If even Germany doesn't have it, I doubt it'll be ever sold in Europe...

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I suppose I could ship some to Europé if there is enough interest, but be warned that they come with instructions in Japanese and the Windows version is in Japanese, but that can off course be rectified once you're up and running.

5. Caramello

Caramello Pen Pal - Newbie

That's a kind gesture Kumabjorn.

Still they're even more expensive in Japan if the currency rates are anything to go by. I have bought stuff from Japan before (through Celga and it was mostly gaming stuff, but I did once buy a white/blue Wacom Bamboo Comic tablet on Amazon Japan 'cause it looked awesome) and that was limited due to all the fees I had to pay (as well as Customs :eek:). I'll hold on a little longer and keep an eye on what Toshiba Europe are up to. I'm sure once it's officially announced that it's not available to consumers, people will kick up enough of a fuss that it should be made available to us "lowly" artists. After all, Toshiba are a business. They want to make as much money as possible, so someone higher up is sure to see how stupid an idea making it available to one market is.

EDIT: Toshiba US have told me there is no international warranty available on tablets. That just makes me hate the UK branch even more!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  6. Robby-D

Robby-D Pen Pal - Newbie

7. HKC

HKC Pen Pal - Newbie

I have just started to look into getting a Windows tablet with a pen, since I have had the Samsung Note 8 for the last 2 years and absolutely loved it. For work reason, I need to use Internet Explorer on my tablet when on travel, so I now am considering getting the Encore 2 Write 10". I used my SN8 a lot for taking notes (handwriting), and export notes as pdf files, and signed pdf documents. I came across this thread, and would like to thank all so much for your great review and discussions, especially to Precurve. From Precurve's review, I gathered that I can sign pdf or annotate pdf documents with no problem. Since this tablet is not available in any retail store, I would appreciate if you could let me know 2 things: 1) how the pen works with all MS Office software: can you hand annotate a Word document, an Excel Spreadsheet, and a power point presentation? 2) what are all the format available to export notes (from OneNote or TruNote?) I tried to call Toshiba but could not get to anyone to answer those questions. Having the answers to these 2 questions will help me buying the tablet sight unseen a little easier.

BTW, you can buy the pen at the Toshiba store: add the tablet and any accessory, then delete the Tablet from the cart at checkout.

Thanks very much.

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I annotate Word documents constantly on my Toshiba, even have my favorite pens on the quick shelf to make it more efficient.

Balbutio ergo sum

9. HKC

HKC Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Kumabjorn, can you let me know what format I can export my notes from OneNote or TruNote? I have never used OneNote, so I don't even know its features, especially with handwriting notes. Another thread is recommending the ThinkPad 10, I would appreciate a side by side comparison and review with the Encore 2 Write: for $140 difference, is it worth it to get the faster processor and better screen resolution of the TP10? what about the difference between the 2 pen? Thanks.

10. Robby-D

Robby-D Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi HKC, answers to your questions:

Yes, PDFs can be annotated and signed. Different apps have varying levels of support for ink.

[ASIDE: Any suggestions from anyone on a great and preferably free PDF reader and ink annotation tool?]

(1) I too annotate Office docs all the time. Office has its own inking system, any ink you add to a document is saved within the document itself, and it's not quite as natural an interface as OneNote or other such apps. Sometimes when I need to review and annotate a Word Doc or Spreadsheet I actually "Print" it to OneNote because the margins become larger, page boundaries don't matter, etc. Inking on the Toshiba is on par with/slightly better than my ASUS Taichi and MUCH better than my Dell Venue Pro 8. I never print anything for myself anymore, only if I need to give a printed copy to somebody else.

(2) OneNote can export notes as Word, PDF, XPS and the .mht format. You can also email notes directly from OneNote, which works very well in all the mail interfaces I have tried. I haven't used TruNote much but it looks like it can save as OneNote, .png, .pptx, .docx, .pdf and apparently .txt.

FYI this is my third Win8 device with an active digitizer, and by far my favourite. For the price I don't think you can go wrong with the Write.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.