Active digitizer on Toshiba Encore 2 WT8-B (Encore 2 Write)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Giacomo UCDS, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

I ordered mine from the Microsoft Store today. Free Overnight shipping since I strong armed the sales rep.

Will post pics when I get it in my hands on Thurs Evening!

darkmagistric and Mesosphere like this.
  2. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Toshiba doubles up on pen computing at CES 2015 with Encore 2 Write tablets
    http://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-encore-2-write-8-inch/
    Toshiba launches Encore 2 Write Windows tablets with Wacom pens
    http://liliputing.com/2015/01/toshiba-launches-encore-2-write-windows-tablets-wacom-pens.html

The 8 inch Toshiba Encore 2 Write has a starting price of $349, while the 10 inch version sells for $399 and supports an optional Bluetooth keyboard cover.

Both models feature 2GB of RAM, 64GB of storage, 1280 x 800 pixel displays, an 8MP rear camera, 1.2MP front camera and up to 11 hours of battery life. But it’s the pen that makes the tablets special.

Toshiba calls the digital pen that comes with these tablets a TruPen, and it supports more than 2000 levels of pressure sensitivity.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If possible could you confirm few things when you get it

1. Does the Pen have a Battery?
    2. Is there a hovering Cursor? (I can't see it in the videos...could just be too small to see in that specific program)
    3. Would you have any other Tablet PC pens you can use on it to see if they work?
    4. Is the pen nib removable, and if so is the same size as other Tablet PC pens?
    5. Does the default "Feel it" Driver from Wacoms site work, and if so do you have the option to remap the pen buttons and access the radial menu?
    6. How is it along the corners and edges as far as accuracy?

Thanks in advance if you can answer these questions. Its still unknown...but speculated that this tablet is using a different Pen tech from Wacoms normal UD EMR digitizers. However the seemingly nice perfomance in the video and the "Feel It" sticker on the 10 inch model makes me wonder if this "Tru Pen" is only different in physical design

Since its available on Microsoft's Website for Sale, I stopped by my Local Microsoft Store to see if they would have it in stock early before the official release on the 11th. (Its almost been a year since the Asus Note 8 Release and the MS Store had the Note8 in stock before the official release date.) My store didn't have any on display....all they had were 7 & 8 inch HP Streams corrupting their normal decent variety of 8/10 inch tablets. I wanted to ask them if they had in the back stock room.....but the store seemed understaffed and I would have had to wait a bit longer. And I also have no desire to buy this tablet unless its using the new digitizer tech. I already have 2 Asus Note 8's and the Thinkpad Tablet 10 that all work fine still.....last thing I need is a 4th baytrail tablet.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

It has been confirmed several times that the Encores Writes have the new battery toting pen tech. It isn't speculation. These tablets have been available already for some time in Japan and Wacom has mentioned it specifically in at least two separate press releases (one of them in Japanese).

5. darkmagistric

Do you have the link for the press releases? I remember the Japanese one, but I haven't seen anything official in English yet, just speculation

6. Mesosphere

So if it isn't in English it is speculation? =P

Can't find the post that linked it but here it is directly on Wacom's website.

http://www.wacom.com/en-us/about-wacom/news-and-events

darkmagistric likes this.
  7. darkmagistric

Translations can sometimes be wrong. And it's not like most tablet pcs pen tech is ever really marketed or advertised beyond "active pen" most of the time

8. Mesosphere

Translations can be wrong for sure, but we have numerous Japanese speaking members around here which confirmed the translations. It is also true that many articles don't get into the digitizer specifics, but several of them did in this case.

Regardless, the English press release corroborates it.

9. soh5

soh5 Wait and Hope (Bronsky et al.) Senior Member

Sure thing. I'll go around the horn, and answer the questions. I will even test out if the surface pro pen (Wacom one for SP1/2) works on the unit.

I have owned many bay trail devices but ended up returning them because of many short comings and have been using my Thinkpad Yoga since it is a beast. I really dont need to be lugging around a machine like this all day, and I wanted a smaller profile.

What really appealed to me was the included micro hdmi output. This means I can use it at presentations and lectures. This is the first unit to come in a 8" form with video out and pen input.

I dont like the white, but I can deal with it if the machine works like the ASUS Vivotab note 8 with out the shortcomings of the digitizer dying.

10. Mesosphere

The AVN8 digitizer doesn't die anymore... once you replace the stock ribbon cables =P

fishdavis and Bronsky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.