Active digitizer on Toshiba Encore 2 WT8-B (Encore 2 Write)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Giacomo UCDS, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I assumed it might be using the front facing camera. But with adaptive brightness on in power management I can cover the camera and nothing happens. Thanks for the clarification.

2. Pyxus

Pyxus Pen Pal - Newbie

It uses Wacom Feel tech according to the text right next to the picture. So it should work...

3. Precurve

I think Wacom "Feel" branding is used for both EMR and AES

But I ordered the Dell stylus and have been sent a "Shipped" notification already so we should be able to see in a few days.

4. SlurredSpeechRecognition

SlurredSpeechRecognition Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually Wacom's EMR tech uses "Wacom Feel IT" while AES uses "Wacom Feel". Borderline hilarious how they branded everything

5. Precurve

So is that Feel "it" or Feel "Information Technology". And on my AES FEEL I'm feeling something apparently, but what am I feeling?

I FEEL like telling the marketing people to quit confusing even the dedicated early adopter fans. Really, how hard can that be? You're making a friggin digital pen with NO visible indication of its compatibility with screen tech. Google search doesn't clarify it, The ecommerce sites selling don't make it clear. Tech support doesn't know - or worse, think they know but are wrong. Jeez maybe a little FEEL emr FEEL aes embossed on the pen would help. Or is there a profit to be made with the FUD? I mean it wouldn't make a cool t shirt but if theres a thousand or so people in the world that care then why no make it easy on them. You know who is going to know? Me in a day or two. and that will have cost me about $40.

fishdavis likes this.
  6. NotBatman

NotBatman Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure I'm convinced of that branding, do you have a source? Anyway I emailed wacom to see if they could clarify.

7. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I would like to thank those of you (especially Precurve) who allow fence sitters and observers the opportunity to hear feedback from knowledgeable owners...

Having said that, for those of you who have taken the plunge, where did you get your device?

The MS Store lists the device as having "Microsoft Signature", which is a "bloatware-free" load. I have really enjoyed the Signature software install in my Microsoft Surface Pro2.

Any idea what specific software comes off the EW2 in the Signature configuration? I see that there is a "M" variant of the model number on the Toshiba web site, but there doesn't seem to be any fewer programs mentioned in the specifications.

Precurve likes this.
  8. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

9. Precurve

Subject:
    AES Pen compatibility between Toshiba Encore Write and Dell™ Active Stylus – for Venue 10 and Venue 10 Pro 5000 Series (Model 5050 and 5055 only)
    Dell Stylus.jpg

I got the Dell DV10P pen tonight. I'm afraid the news for cross brand compatibility is worse than expected or that I would have imagined.

Its a nice pen. Very near the same size shape and weight of Trupen. Identical diameter. Nice dark grey color. Hard plastic tip not a fibrous tip like the Trupen. AAAA battery. But its not functionally compatible with the Encore - at least out of the box. Which may mean that there is not a standard AES platform where pens are interchangeable between brands - assuming this pen is a Wacom AES. I don't what else it could be though. It cost $40 for me to get a more complicated answer than I wanted. I was prepared for it to be compatible or not function. But not this weird in-between space that suggests the OEMS are about to make things more confusing than ever in the stylus/digitzer space.

The pen used in normal mode will not make marks. A tip cursor blinks on then off at about 5mm. But no drawing. If I hold down the front button it will make marks, it is pressure sensitive, and will draw freehand lines for as long as I hold the front button down but its also in some kind of Shift mode where it will draw straight lines between tip clicks if I lift it and put it back down. If I click the back button twice and hold it will erase. So it seems like the button mapping is way off at the very least. I tried some system restarts, moving my Toshiba pen across the room, messing around with the few Pen and Touch settings in Control Panel. removing the battery. Different applications. I tried connecting my bluetooth keyboard to see if different keystrokes changed any of the behavior. If I set the Dell pen aside and try the Toshiba pen it works fine.

I'm done for the night. and pissed. Not about $40, and not at Dell, but because this suggests some kind of new confusion and complexity in the digital pen space. And because I still can't get a spare pen for the EW8. I travel over the next couple of days and will not be doing any further tests of this new pen for now.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    Marty, thatcomicsguy and bloodycape like this.
  10. SlurredSpeechRecognition

SlurredSpeechRecognition Pen Pal - Newbie

@Precurve So sorry to hear that. I'm with you on the frustration, considering how one of Wacom's strong suits with EMR was the compatibility between devices it seems like a step backward to let OEMs do who knows what with AES tech. From your description of the dell pen's behavior, it sounds to me like either the pen was defective (possible but unlikely) or Dell is using some sort of proprietary driver for the pen. If its the latter, it's possible to use the pen on the encore provided the driver is installed. Not to raise your hopes up too high, just posing some possible explanations for the awkward behavior.

I'd just like to take a moment to thank Precurve for his invaluable input to assist all us fellow users. Rock on man!