Active digitizer on Toshiba Encore 2 WT8-B (Encore 2 Write)

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by Giacomo UCDS, Sep 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

My guess is the software forum would fit best for apps and tweaks. If your guide also includes a whole bunch of accessories and physical customizations, then Tablet PC Life would be the best choice imo.

2. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

Since posting the above I have gone back and downloaded Mischief Free v 2.0.5 and it runs well on the Toshiba Encore Write 8. It does make the device slightly hotter in one spot than Manga Studio but its not uncomfortable. The pinch and zoom is a bit glitchy at times, especially zooming out it doesn't always respond the first few attempts.
    This video is very short but I have done a few hours of drawing in Mischief Free and the infinite canvas works great, it did not crash and despite the extra heat it did not seem to drain the battery excessively.

Its a cool program and the free version is delightfully simple.
    https://www.madewithmischief.com/

Please note: When playing this in the youtube window click on the "gear" icon and select 720p in the Quality pop-up menu.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Allarih likes this.
  3. inmnbob

inmnbob Scribbler - Standard Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  4. SlurredSpeechRecognition

SlurredSpeechRecognition Pen Pal - Newbie

Trying to decide between the 8" and the 10". I've trolled through the thread and noticed no one has mentioned the real life battery life for the 10" compared to the 8". I'm mainly a student looking for a tablet suitable for note taking, maybe the occasional sketches in MS5. Could anyone help pointing out any alternatives for a student?

5. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

If that listing is true, then that pen is not compatible with the Encore 2 at all. That listing's digitizer pen tech is completely different from the TruPen's tech. Currently, there is no way to purchase an actual spare TruPen from Toshiba, which they need to fix.

6. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

I absolutely love this device! It's done more than I expected it to even for an underpowered device and I am genuinely surprised because of it. I got the 8", and it feels like such a personal and perfect size for me. If I had gotten the 10", I'm not sure I would have felt the same way, even if I had a larger active area to work with.

I'm planning on doing a fairly comprehensive video review on this device. So far I've installed Manga Studio, Mischief (full version) Sketchbook 2015 (mostly for its Flipbook animation feature), and Painter 2015 on there. I might install Photoshop CC on just for testing purposes, but so far don't feel the need to because the aforementioned programs suit me just fine.

I want to do a video review because while I appreciate Precurve's test videos, I still feel that there needs to be a good extensive review covering the pros & cons of what makes this a great budget device for digital artists, and so far I just haven't found such a video. Most of the videos I've seen ONLY cover the handwriting and a cursory mention of "artists". One video reviewer went through a few art apps, but he's only done quick strokes for each app, which, imo, is just NOT a good way of showing the capabilities of the device and leads me to think he's just not an artist at all.

I grew frustrated over the months since its release and decided to just fork over the $350 just so I could review this enigmatic little beast. I also want to record myself doing one full painting per program, and maybe suggestions on how to improve the device for future iterations. I've jot down quite a few notes pertaining to the Encore 2 Write, so I'm confident I've got a fair bit to say in the video.

Because time isn't exactly on my side, it's going to take me a couple of weeks before I can get this video out (hopefully), but I'll try my best. Would anyone here care to suggest what they think I should cover in the review?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    Precurve likes this.
  7. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

********. Never trust official reps. That pen is the "old" wacom technology, like in Asus VivoTab Note 8 or Samsung Galaxy Note. It won't work.

8. Precurve

Precurve Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree about the size being very personal. Convenient too, I find myself turning the device rather than using multi-touch rotate because its so much easier. Its a great companion device but I don;t think it would work as a primary machine. You might feel differently.

I have two videos in mind that I am planning to do:
    - one short one shot with an external camera showing device rotation and a little accessory for holding the Encore with one hand.
    - a longer video showing multi-tasking using multiple programs. For this one I'll probably do a car sketch or something starting in Sketchup and going to MS5. What has been an ongoing discovery for me is just how far you can push this device's 2Gb memory and processor and it keeps up.

I think more examples of finished art of a variety of types (hard edge, painterly, layered channel ops, etc) is useful for the community.

9. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

10. Zhao Su

Zhao Su Zee Ess

Any system bought from the last 6 years easily bests the Encore 2 in terms of specs, so it is most definitely NOT a primary art machine. I agree, though, that it is a fantastic companion device to your primary machine. There have been many times on the commute to and from work that I wish I could've just whipped out my Cintiq Companion to quickly get some work done, but the CC is heavy and I would have had to take the case out just to take the CC out in order to work on it for a short spell. So for a "mobile" device, the Companion sure can be clunky.

With the Encore, I can just whip it out, quickly get something in, and throw it back in the bag whenever, and the files will be synced and ready for me on my Companion to work with at a coffee shop or at home with my laptop and Intuos.

I don't think I'll be doing any program multi-tasking in my video (or videos), as I like to focus on one program at a time anyways. Since Win8.1 with the flash storage is so fast at booting up programs, I don't mind shutting one down to open up another. The one program I was expecting to crash the device would at least be Painter 2015 with its heavy-CPU Real Watercolor brushes on somewhat high-res files, but even that program hasn't really be a problem for the Encore to handle, which has only perked me up more.

I look forward to getting some footage of me working on this thing and getting it out there.

Precurve likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.